Munty frame question

• 6 Replies

snow white

Munty frame question
« on: September 20, 2017, 19:05 »
I am in the process of constructing a munty frame as my usual row keeps falling over.  My query is over the material used for the uprights that the beans grow on.  I have looked at the hundreds of posts and most people use string.  Does anyone use anything else?  I have some wire fencing coated in green, it has a large cross mesh of about 4 inches square.  Could I use this or is string better?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Munty frame question
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 19:19 »
Is this the kind of thing you mean (although this isn't coated)? The beans are less likely to hang down for picking, if you a mesh.

madcat

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 22:18 »
I think string is better, but it is time consuming to set up each year, so see the point of a fixed mesh if your frame is staying put.  There is always a trade-off, isn't there?   :dry:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

snow white

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 07:51 »
Mumofstig, not as thick, but yes.  I can see the point that the beans would rest on top.  String it is then.  Thanks.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 10:39 »
For the lower (vertical) 'strings' I use galvanized wire cut into suitable lengths with the ends bent over into a hook - the lower ends are pushed into the soil and the hook secures them in position along the horizontal rail. Main advantage of this is that you can just yank them out at the end of the season making it easy to re-dig the trench (or whatever), and of course you can re-use them in subsequent years.

My Munty frame is actually made from angle iron, so the diagonal 'strings' are also galvanized wire - this probably wouldn't work on a lighter wooden frame as you have to put quite a bit of tension into the wires to keep them taut, although of course they will last for many years.

Plastic washing line could be a good compromise - should last at least a few years before starting to disintegrate if you don't want the faff of re-stringing every year.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

snow white

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 14:53 »
Washing line.  Brilliant idea.  Thank you. 😀

hamstergbert

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 20:52 »
My munty has canes between the top and back horizontal bars.  Single twist of wire at the top and bottom, then end of season easy to cut off the beanstalks at the ground and release the canes then drag all the lot out to separate the woody bines from the canes which can then be nicely dried out for next year.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

xx
Munty frame question

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2011, 13:01
by AndyRVTR
xx
Munty frame quick question

Started by VegPlotter on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 17:29
by Yorkie
xx
Question ref the munty bean frame

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 22, 2008, 15:33
by Steve.P
clip
My Munty frame

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 07, 2018, 17:02
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 37 queries.