Pea/bean frame

• 19 Replies

LosPollosHermanos

Re: Pea/bean frame
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 17:43 »
I've a few beds with fixed trellis' and it has worked out great. Every now and again i'll rotate something fun in like squash and train them up the trellis. One of my favourites is Achocha as they grow like crazy and if you get a good year they produce masses of fruit that taste like cucumbers when they're small and fry up like peppers when they're mature.  They don't seem to get any kind of disease and once you've grown them you'll never run out of seed. Just don't let them wander of the trellis or they'll cover your whole plot!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 17:54 »
I've a few beds with fixed trellis' and it has worked out great. Every now and again i'll rotate something fun in like squash and train them up the trellis. One of my favourites is Achocha as they grow like crazy and if you get a good year they produce masses of fruit that taste like cucumbers when they're small and fry up like peppers when they're mature.  They don't seem to get any kind of disease and once you've grown them you'll never run out of seed. Just don't let them wander of the trellis or they'll cover your whole plot!
I grow Uchiki Kuri (winter squash) up mine. The flowers have a beautiful scent, and the huge leaves give some welcome shade to my deck.   :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

LosPollosHermanos

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 18:15 »
I grow Uchiki Kuri (winter squash) up mine. The flowers have a beautiful scent, and the huge leaves give some welcome shade to my deck.   :)
I usually grow a few Trombonchino which are great fun, they're more of an autumn squash but are great to fill in the gap between summer and winter squash as they keep producing until just after the frost arrive and if you keep them well fed they can grow 3 maybe 4 feet long.  Those are fun to look at but they definitely taste best around 7-9 inches. I hurt my back earlier this year so I missed the best time to plant but for fun I started some off about a month ago and stuck them in a polytunnel to see how long I can keep them going. I don't know if they'll actually produce anything but its lovely to have some nice squash family looking so healthy when all my others are dying off from mildew, for some reason they seem to be particularly resistant.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 19:16 »
I usually grow a few Trombonchino which are great fun, they're more of an autumn squash but are great to fill in the gap between summer and winter squash as they keep producing until just after the frost arrive and if you keep them well fed they can grow 3 maybe 4 feet long.  Those are fun to look at but they definitely taste best around 7-9 inches. I hurt my back earlier this year so I missed the best time to plant but for fun I started some off about a month ago and stuck them in a polytunnel to see how long I can keep them going. I don't know if they'll actually produce anything but its lovely to have some nice squash family looking so healthy when all my others are dying off from mildew, for some reason they seem to be particularly resistant.
It's good to experiment, as there's very little to loose!  :) Do let me know how you get on?  I only have my small garden, but my vertical courgettes are covered in mildew, which is actually a relief tbh!  :lol:

LosPollosHermanos

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 19:55 »
Another way to get around any issues with pea weevil if you grow peas might be to grow mangetout. I'm coming up for my fifth year of growing peas in the same spot and no issues yet. I grow giant mangetout which I love and when I let some go over and grow next years seed I've still not seen any weevils yet.

clip
12 foot bean/pea frame

Started by Veg Plot 1B on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2018, 07:38
by Veg Plot 1B
xx
Runner Bean Frame

Started by mikeimp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 19:34
by JayG
xx
Muntys bean frame

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 24, 2008, 22:55
by muntjac
xx
My simple bean frame

Started by crackedflowerpots on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post February 09, 2008, 09:05
by crackedflowerpots

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 35 queries.