How is your sweetcorn doing so far?

• 20 Replies

rowlandwells

Re: How is your sweetcorn doing so far?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 15:44 »
we are actually picking sweet corn this year instead of the badger and there lovely and sweet some for tea some in the freezer

what's the variety F1 golden hind very sweet very tasty well worth the effort fencing them in badger proof going to grow more sweet corn next year

victoria park

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 16:10 »
Well done Rowland, opaque fencing for 5 or 6 weeks is the answer. I had another square of corn that I didn't fence and they all got nobbled. They were almost a sacrificial crop in my mind., one for us, one for them.

LILLILEAF

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 05:48 »
We lost a few plants to rabbits :( then the cat got the rabbit :lol: so i fenced round it no more trouble,we have picked all the corn,about 40 cobs,some in the freezer,some went to the chickens.
I could have lost the lot so i was very happy with the result,and very tasty to :).
I will be growing more next year well worth ago.

lettice

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 09:18 »
Just been pulling up the sweetcorn plants and now into the compost.
Picked the last crop over the weekend.
Another great crop this year of Golden Bantam, had 32 plants and just one ended up only half size and produced just one cob. Most produced three cobs, about four plants had only two cobs and eight plants had four cobs.
Tasty, no growing issues and about 2/3 is in freezer tubs for the next year to use.

Have saved some seed too this year far a fun experiment as directed from some on here.
Such an easy veg crop to grow with no problems growing it, except the height :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 09:54 »
Can't claim to have achieved anything like Lettice's yield with this year's Earlibird, but then again it's done at least as well as Swift and Lark (and a few others I can't remember the names of) over the years.

Worries about pollination given the cool, windy, and sometimes wet weather were unfounded - I've been picking delicious well-filled cobs for a couple of weeks now, and although the poor August weather delayed ripening it has helped them stay in prime condition for longer on the plants, which is just as well given that my freezer is stuffed with home made tomato sauces!  ::)

Still harvesting the first cob on each plant - many have a second cob but they are mostly suspiciously skinny...
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 10:37 »
Disastrous.  Very poor germination with Mirai Picnic, consequently not enough plants for good pollination, back to Swift next year which hasn't let me down in the past.

xx
Sweetcorn.

Started by cacran on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 01, 2008, 11:06
by cacran
xx
Sweetcorn Help!

Started by Smudge on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 17:09
by David.
xx
sweetcorn

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 12:13
by Kristen
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2021, 16:04
by cc

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 39 queries.