I hate tree rats.

• 7 Replies

Lardman

I hate tree rats.
« on: July 28, 2017, 13:09 »
My last remaining apple and it's organza protection bag was snaffled this morning  :mad: I've had nothing from any of the fruit trees  :ohmy:  :mad:

To cover the terrace with bird netting was in the region of £500, I was busy trying to justify that but even if I did I doubt it would keep the squirrels out  :unsure: I've lost the odd one in previous years but nothing significant.-Is it likely just to be a bad year or have the local population got a taste for apples and my garden is seen as an all you can eat buffet.

Other than praying for a harsh winter to kill them all off does anyone have any suggestion for next year, I'm pretty deep into the micro-orchard plan but I'm not going to flog a dead horse, id rather cut my losses now.  >:(

Aled

Re: I hate tree rats.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 13:14 »
I have a cage trap, and an air rifle. I find that if you shoot/trap one, there is a gap between the next one turning up. Keep the tails and give them to a friend who enjoys fly fishing, the make excellent fishing flies!
Cheers
Aled

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 15:28 »
I have a cage trap, and an air rifle.

Much as I hate them I don't think I could actually bring myself to off one, not a caged one up close and personal.  :wub: There are hundreds around here with the park in front and the woods at the back, killing the odd one feels a bit like a drop in the ocean.

Im not sure the neighbours would be too impressed but I'm off to gurgle the legals about shooting them.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 07:20 »
If you catch one it is illegal to release it so you must kill it.  It is against the Wildlife and Country Act 1981 to release non-native species into the wild because there are problems they may cause to British wildlife.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 10:01 »
Have a look on youtube at the Good Nature A24 trap.

Expensive but can be used at ground level for rats and mice out of fruit season.

When the family ask what you want from santa maybe ? :)

Aled

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 09:33 »
Fair enough Lardman, must say I'd prefer to shoot at 20 metres rather than trap and shoot at point blank range!
A pair have just turned up this week, after 5 weeks without. I try to keep them out of the garden when I have song birds nesting in my bird boxes. However they have fledged now so not quite as concerned as I was.
Cheers
Aled

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 11:39 »
The Good Nature trap 8doubles recommended looks very good, especially it would also dispatch the rats. It isn't cheap but then neither is a cage trap and an air rifle. The neighbours feed them so I expect I'd get a knock on the door from the RSPCA if I was seen to be killing them.  >:(

They've finished off the yellow plums over the weekend so there's nothing left to protect but a few damsons this year which at least gives me some time.  I may still cover the area and put cheaper traps inside the nets, Im still gurgling.

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 12:57 »
Assuming theyre grey squirrels and not red, the rspca could knock on your door all they like. Theyre vermin and an invasive species, the only thing is to make sure that pellets never stray outside of your boundary, otherwise you would be committing armed trespass. The politicians at the rspca would be the least of your worries then
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

xx
I hate to say it but......

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2018, 20:04
by rowlandwells
xx
Rhubarb - hate it or love it?

Started by bashful_badger on Grow Your Own

51 Replies
Last post August 29, 2009, 23:29
by Swing Swang
xx
I hate black aphids!

Started by BabyStar on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 11:29
by BabyStar
xx
It's Official I Hate The Wind!

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 10, 2012, 13:48
by Stratts

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 34 queries.