• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: lidl lemon trees
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 08:39 »
It's very boastworthy.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 23:08 »
well it might be if the new lemons next year look as good as the ones that came on it, although it does have lots of lovely new flowers opening and new shoots since I re potted/fed it and I have been misting it every day.

whilst I am not holding my breath, I am taking tips from my Italian in laws that have monster lemon trees growing in their garden. 

time will tell. x

MickH

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 18:55 »
Hi every one it's my first post so here goes - I hope some of you who bought their Citrus trees from either
Lidle or Aldi can say what month it was when they bought them.
I've always had a liking for Citrus but have found over the years they miss the correct climates sun
drenched environment sometimes.   They can be grown and do fruit but there is a lot to learn in keeping them in good condition, not least a bit of extra light on some occasions.......

I bought a calamondin and a Lemon ( more likely Citrus Limoni- Lunato) which has quite elongated fruit
with a nose each end. Very nice  and very juicy lemons are this variety and well worth the £14.99 I paid for it.    My lad 'looked after'  them while we were away 2 weeks last year but sorry to say the Kumquat which
made up the three I bought was dead from sun burn and no fluid.  I would dearly like to buy another
from Aldi or Lidl if I only knew if they are going to sell them this year.  Please can you say?

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 16:32 »
from my initial post, I think i bought it in early april.  I have recently cut off the lemons as it was flowering well and now have lots of mini lemons growing.  I am feeding once a week with citrus food and only using rainwater and 'misting' regularly.  I only moved it out of the greenhouse last week into a sheltered/sunny spot.  I am determined to grow my own lemons even if the time/effort/cost doesn't make economical sense!

if anyone has any other growing tips, I would love to hear them.  thanks.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 16:22 »
a quick update on my baby......the lemons that were on it were delicious and as I am posting today, didn't kill me :lol:

it spent most of its time in the greenhouse as I didn't want to expose it to the windy summer weather we had.  It's done really well with currently 7 decent sized fruits and about 8 smaller ones and continues to produce blossom.

today I decided to bring him into a cool corner in the kitchen as I fear the overnight temp expected would be too cold, even with a heater in my greenhouse.

I have included a pic.  according to info on t 'interweb I have stopped feeding and err on dryer side for soil at this time of year.

Fingers crossed that all my  molly codling pays off ;)
15105038662621566750012.jpg
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 16:24 by goose »

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 16:38 »
hmmm....sorry about the pic...I will try again

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 16:47 »
trying another pic.
15105051576821095496776.jpg

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 16:48 »
nah...sorry, I don't know what I am doing wrong....but trust me, its looking great¬ :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2017, 17:50 »
The pics are there, just so big that you have to scroll across to see it in pieces. You'd need to reduce the size before uploading, if you want everyone to see it properly ;)

It looks very healthy, just hope the move doesn't make it drop its leaves!

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 09:53 »
thanks mumofstig for the tip. 
I wasn't sure if I had made the right call by bringing him indoors as I was concerned about the sudden change of temperature.  the next couple of nights are forcasted to be really cold so was worried it might suffer in the greenhouse.

do you think it would be better back in the greenhouse with the heater (although it still gets cold in there), or alternatively in my shed (with a very small window)? 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 12:09 »
Just frost free isn't really warm enough, more like 5-8C for citrus, I'd say.... although some varieties are hardier than others. They do need as much light as you can give them though.

I haven't grown one for years, perhaps someone else with more experience will post in a bit..

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 14:05 »
thanks, I appreciate your advice.  I have been doing some reading up and decided to put him back in the greenhouse with the heater on for the time being.  i have also wrapped the pot in sacking (as advised on one website) to protect the rootball from freezing.  i will keep an eye on him, as he currently looks very happy and we have had a few cold nights recently that didn't seem to do any harm.  many websites don't recommend bringing them indoors as the air is too dry.

if it turns Baltic i may temporarily put him in the shed.  my Italian inlaws bring all of theirs into a large outbuilding for the winter but they have more light than i have in my shed.

fingers crossed. ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 15:27 »
Good luck!

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 14:16 »
He’s looking splendid, well done!
I don't really look like my avatar.

MickH

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 17:51 »
I tried very hard 2017 to buy another Kumquat from Lidl but was unable to.  Someone said the Citrus trees were available in March 2017 but I did not see them nor in the weekly Lidl magazine.

It was early 2016 I bought three trees at £14.99 each  - Kumquat -Nagami, Calamondin and an italian lemon = possibly 'Verna' as the fruit tapers a lot at both ends. But it could be a Primofiori type.....  I wish the growers would put names on their plants? They seem well worth the cost.

xx
lemon trees

Started by hermon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2006, 16:33
by Jake
xx
Orange and lemon trees

Started by whistler on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 08:31
by Pip Judgeford
xx
Lidl Fruit Trees... Now What?

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 23, 2021, 16:03
by AndyRVTR
xx
£3.99 Fruit Trees at Lidl

Started by Stevens706 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 17, 2007, 22:15
by Salkeela

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 37 queries.