Water Charges Threat to Allotments

• 118 Replies

Oscar Too

Re: Water Charges Threat to Allotments
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2009, 09:24 »
I've set up a spreadsheet to monitor response etc.

Can everyone please let me know who they have written to (councillors and MPs etc.) and whether they've had a response.

This isn't to make sure that people are contributing, it's so that is later stages of the campaign we can say to MPs etc "40 MPs across the country have received letters from allotment holders about this issue".

Please can you let me know by posting here or by PM.

To start the ball rolling, I've written to my MP, and spoken to the Chair of the local association.  I haven't yet written to OFWAT and the rest, but will this weekend.

Cheers

Oscar

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2009, 11:41 »
I wonder if we can claim for failure to carry out what we are paying Anglian Water for. I have had to spend £55 to replace a old Thetford "Porta Potti", I am sending the invoice to Anglian water.  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Update: I received a cheque for £55 yesterday morning. :) :) :)

woodsmoke

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2009, 17:03 »
The thing is I had read a bit about this with regard to churches and, I think, golf clubs.  But it had not registered.  Now that so many allotment sites are at capacity there must be a lot of us.  We have to fight back.  I have just left a site because the rent has gone from £23 in 2004 to £58 last year and rising.  The new site is £20.  But for how long?  With constant trillions and millions in the news it all becomes meaningless.  But not to the ordinary person.  We must fight back.
What if all these non-residential customers, who are not businesses, refused to pay?
This leaves me so shocked.
Perhaps we have to march.  Seriously.

lottienewbie

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2009, 18:21 »
just signed up as we are new to the allotment way of living,but i was very worried to read this article,i have indeed signed the petition,and i have sent a e-mail to my local MP who is normaly most helpful,i think i get the gyst of what is being said,but being a bit lazy i copied and pasted the first post on here and sent it to him,so will keep you up to date with what he replies with.

but on a more less serious note may i say a big hello from me to ya all,

Kind regards Neil.
making the most of what good weather we get.

Debbie Knight

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2009, 21:30 »
This is so worrying....I've just signed the petition and will be writing to my MP.  Must admit haven't heard anything through the local grapevine for increased charges for our plot but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

lottienewbie

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2009, 13:44 »
hi ya,
       i am at the moment in talks with my m p regarding this issue,have nothing to report so far,but when i do i will post the reply on here for you all to see,so far i have had a quick response from him,but yet no answers.

this is my first year as a allotment user,keen,but know * all lol

regards

Neil.

woodsmoke

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2009, 16:59 »
I have just followed the link from Richie's post and signed the petition.  Everyone out there please sign.  There are only 89 names on it so far.  That is not going to carry any weight.
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/allotmentwater/
If I have not got that right then google it!
Just sign.
I cannot be the only one who can no longer imagine life without an allotment.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 20:22 by john »

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2009, 20:12 »
Great :D please let us know if anyone gets an official response, Oscar Too is co-ordinating it and is keeping a track of replies from MP's etc.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

lottienewbie

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2009, 13:57 »
As yet i have had no response from my mp,but i have written a letter to my council whom i rent my plot from to see where they stand on this matter,
will report to you when i get a response,but knowing councils they will sit on the fence and get splinters lol

heres hoping we can stop this

Neil.

Mrs Soup

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2009, 23:27 »
I checked the Dwr Cymru site on this and it would appear that for this year at least there is a mechanism for reclaiming the surface water and highway drainage element of your bill.

They state that if none of your rainwater drains to the public sewer then you are exempt, and if you can prove that less than 95% of your water used returns to the sewer system then you can apply for a rebate on the sewerage element.

I guess they're catching people with the run-off from buildings going into the system, and charging for the whole site area. :ohmy:

Reading the Telegraph article, there is no compulsion on water companies to use the area method for charging, and not all of them are planning to do so.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 23:54 by Mrs Soup »

lottienewbie

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2009, 17:05 »
I have now heard back from my local council,and yep they are sitting on the fence,they say they are aware of the "rain tax" and they are currently accesing its implication on the council,and will report back to me when they have more info,but they thank me for bringing this to their attention,blimey thats nice of them lol

regards Neil.

donald.cape

• Experienced Member
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2009, 20:44 »
Latest about the water charges that we are going to bring to the media's attention.

1) Our normal allotment size is 120 sq mtrs, however some people have half plots of 60 sq mtrs, rent is based on the area but the water charge is the same for both half and full plots. Some people who have two half plots pay twice for their water.

2) The water is turned off for 6 months but we pay an annual fee. People with poultry have to take their own water during the winter.

3) We aren't connected to a sewerage system, United Utilities may be charging as though we were. I've asked at Council that they investigate if this is the case and have they passed on the United Utilities increase without questioning United Utilities about it.

We are waiting untill the bills are sent out in April, however everyone is primed to set up petitions to take to Council that I as a City Councillor will then be able to speak on.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 07:14 by donald.cape »

pol and mick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2009, 01:20 »
If these new charges were enforced.Would it be an idea to tell the water companies where to put their bills,ask them to disconect the mains water supply and invest in a compost toilet.The water companies might think twice then about enforcing these high costs.
pol

donald.cape

• Experienced Member
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2009, 17:14 »
I was talking to the portfolio holder who has reponsibility for allotments on our Council yesterday about the problems I highlighted at our last Council meeting.

He has asked that United Utilities are investigated about just what they are charging for, ie. water only or charges for sewer connection as well   (that we don't have).

The issuing of bills has been put on hold for the moment until the results of the investigation are known.

He is also looking at the possibility of fitting a water meter to sites, one meter for the full site not each allotment.

He will be coming back to me before anything like that happens though.

I'll let you know when I know more.

Donald Cape

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 19:01 by donald.cape »

argaric

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2009, 10:57 »
Signed petition and had a look at UU web site.
They state "We will measure the total floor area of the whole site to be drained in square metres, and automatically discount any permeable or other excluded areas within the site boundary. The actual chargeable area that will be used to generate charges may therefore be less than the total site area measurement."

Also in their Glossary of Terms "Chargeable Area – the total area, within a site, of non-permeable surfaces from which surface water or groundwater drains directly or indirectly to a public sewer. It comprises the whole site less any qualifying excluded areas."

This would appear to mean that for the calcualtion of site area they should exclude all of the plot areas (i.e. where we grow things) from the calculation.

I will write to my MP and get in touch with my council (I have just paid the bill £19.25 comprising £5.50 rent, £1.00 water charges and £12.75 Miscellaneous charges) so I will be asking if the misc charges include any of this new "Rain Tax".

Regards,
  Aragric

angry
Councils Selling Off Allotments

Started by John on Growing FAQs and other Information

96 Replies
Last post June 18, 2013, 23:10
by carlrmj

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 39 queries.