feather pecking

• 5 Replies

ken2

feather pecking
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:34 »
just after some help on how to stop my chickens from pecking each others feathers it seems to be just one of them doing it. i have tried the spray but this has not worked any thoughts >:(

carolbriar

Re: feather pecking
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:43 »
One alternative to the spray which I have seen mentioned on the forum before is a nose ring or anti-pecking ring.  The birds can eat etc but aren't able to peck at each other!
I am sure someone with more experience will give some good advice.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

ken2

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:48 »
just new to this myself what is a anti pecking ring and were can iget them from thanks for your help

chooksbury

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 14:01 »
I had to fit a bumper beak bit to Dorothy a couple of weeks ago, having tried peck spray etc.  She settled down the next morning as if nothing happened.  I got mine on ebay - 8 for a quid .. but the wildfowl trust sell them too.  Not the easies thing to get on but if  you have someone to help you'll be fine.  A tip ... take chooky off the perch at night, keep it calm and dimly lit .. though enough for you to clearly see what you're doing.  This will minimise trauma for both of you .. and chook will wake up next day having adjusted overnight to the odd sensation.  It holds the beak slightly ajar so that eating, drinking and breathing are not affected, but getting a ecent grip on a feather to pull it out is !  God luck and come back to me if you need a chat on it .. ;)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 15:11 »
You should ask yourself why are they pecking feathers?

There are 3 reasons
1. There environment.  Lack of space, to small will and does cause this.
2. There is a lack of minerals in there diet. Try cat food (not chicken) as a supplement.
3. They are just sadistic b*ggers and I would at this point and only then attach a beak ring.
WARNING Beak rings do not last very long as the beak can wear away to accommodate the ring and then the bird goes back to her old ways.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

chooksbury

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 14:37 »
They certainly love a bit of cat food ... well two do, the other one isn't interested and you're right, the beak rings are a LAST resort .. but if regularly checked shouldn't present a problem.  Try looking for as many other solutions as you can first .. but if all else fails ...

xx
Feather pecking

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 10, 2007, 14:55
by Bodger
xx
Feather Pecking

Started by Mickey2stroke on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 23:57
by Big Jen
xx
Feather pecking or ......

Started by Molly Hen on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 18:18
by bettyblue
xx
feather pecking

Started by fourmoon on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 11:06
by fourmoon

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 38 queries.