Border or no border in a greenhouse?

• 20 Replies

Totty

Re: Border or no border in a greenhouse?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 22:14 »
I was given that info a few years ago by a commercial grower. He emphasised the importance of new growing media every season.
 It's one of those tips you remember and I have always either, grown in large pots of fresh compost or grow bags, or dug very large planting holes and filled with fresh loam/compost/manure.
It's not a hard fast rule, obviously they will grow to an extent in most soils. But imo they will grow better in very rich soil in a new area year on year compared to growing them in the same spot in the border every season.

Totty

Newdigger

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 11:07 »
I have a border and if I want to rest the soil I put grow bag on top.  Or I move my staging around over the top to give me more room for pots.  Having a border is more flexible.
New Digger

Yana

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 12:13 »
I rotate the crops between the greenhouses and replace around 12" of the soil every two years to reduce the risk of disease.
I grow cucumbers in one greenhouse and and tomatoes in the other in the soil / grow pots over the soil. Chillies and aubergines are grown in pots. So far it seems to have worked well, it's just with the planned move of the greenhouses I wondered what others thought of soil/no soil and their experiences. Quite a mixed set of responses (as I would have expected) and all very interesting. Do need to make my mind up soon as work will start and the guys won't be happy if I mess them about.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 15:02 »
My GH is on sleepers that are laid on ground level, I started with grow bags for 2 years then moved on to grow-bags in buckets for a few years more then moved on to raised beds with the soil made from old grow-bags topped up with home compost.

Its main used is for garlic and onion sets for a unattended  winter (Sep to Apr) and  with Toms, grapes and peppers in the summer.

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 10:25 »
I have boarders in the greanhouse but thinking i will pave it all and do a 18 inch high bench to put pots or growbags on, but use the underside for storage of seed trays pots watering can etc.
The reason, i have had a spine operation and have trouble bending down.
I'm lost without my SatNav.

Chrysalis

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 13:55 »
Sounds a good plan. You have to make it work for you  :nowink:

We are sticking with three borders until too decrepit to cope (Maybe next month?!)  Hope the back stays well.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 38 queries.