food again

• 7 Replies

burnley mouton

food again
« on: August 18, 2008, 21:50 »
Had to get a new bag of layer's pellets last week, these look slightly different (more glossy) to the first lot I bought and my hens don't like them!  Yesterday, after a couple of days of starvation, I decided to add boiling water, it turned into a mush, and I presented them with it once it had cooled down, they loved it!  Just want to make sure it's ok to do this, and that it won't do them any harm until I get hold of the stuff they like (or prepare my own if I can be bothered) :?
Thanks for your help,
Carla

jack russell

food again
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 21:57 »
can't see why it would cause a problem its only water you are adding not whiskey :wink: right.......

should be fine IMO
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
food again
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 22:08 »
Brilliant idea BM :D

Just like children aren't they - get the wrong brand of baked beans and you're in trouble :wink:

burnley mouton

food again
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 22:08 »
Just wanted to check, not sure if I read somewhere about problems with giving them stuff like porridge that's too sloppy, don't want them to choke on it or anything.  Haven't had them very long, as you can tell!  Thanks for that anyway, makes me feel better :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
food again
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 22:15 »
Let them go hungry, their stomachs will rule them in the end  :wink:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
food again
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 22:18 »
Just make sure you clear away any unused wet feed at the end of the day.  Or it will go  stale and mouldy.

My chooks have always had Marriages pellets  but a friend gave me half a sack of Allen and Pages (posh organic ones).  Do you think they would eat them :roll:  Just turned their beaks up  :evil:

Vember

food again
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 22:30 »
It's so funny how they know the difference

Although not really funny when you've bought the stuff  :lol:

There's always a way round these things, the other thing i've done before now is buy a small bag of their regular stuff & mix it in, funny but mine ate it then :?

burnley mouton

food again
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 15:48 »
fussy beggars, these hens!  I'm fine doing the hot water thing and clearing it away at the end of the day, but not sure what our hensitters will make of it when we go away...  Was going to get the posh organic pellets next, but from what you're saying that's not guaranteed success either.  If I let them starve in the morning (I tried it but felt sorry for them), they'll just end up eating grass when we let them out, so that's not going to work.   :?  Can't remember what make we had that they liked either, I'll have a look around.  At least they're eating and still laying eggs and looking happy, so won't complain.
Carla

xx
Dry dog food

Started by Cat on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 20, 2009, 14:33
by too many girls
xx
Food ... how much and of what?

Started by miller15 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 13:02
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Food

Started by ste23 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 22:33
by orchardlady
xx
cat food

Started by bluemaran on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 14:25
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 39 queries.