fuel leak on b+s 3.5hp

• 9 Replies

bigsprouts

• Experienced Member
fuel leak on b+s 3.5hp
« on: February 24, 2008, 18:11 »
hi guys i have a merry tiller with a briggs and stratton 3.5hp engine on it and it has developed a fuel leak and just wondered if any body has come accross this before and could tell me which gaskets might need replacing or pipes that might need replacing.I have had a look round it and am stumped and did not want to disturb gaskets that might be otherwise ok. :?

Gwiz

fuel leak on b+s 3.5hp
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 05:41 »
There are a few varients of the engine that were fitted to the merry tiller.
Which one have you got?
fuel tank at the back, below the air filter, or fuel tank at the front ?
The most likley cause on trhe former is due to the screws that hold the carb onto the tank working loose. Sometimes a quick tighten with a screw driver will do it, otherwise you might need to replace the gasket. (cheap and plentifull) Also, another common cause is a pinhole of rust that has formed in the tank. I've had this happen quite a lot in the past. If this is the case, drain out all the petrol, allow to evaporate, and repair on the outside of the tank with fibre glass.
the latter types of engine also suffer from rusty fuel tanks, and can be repaired in the same way, also the fuel pipe usually needs to be replaced at regular intervals, say, every "when ever it leaks".
Keep me posted how you're getting on. :D

bigsprouts

• Experienced Member
fuel leak on b+s 3.5hp
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 18:53 »
hi graham mine is the one with the big square tank at the front of the machine will have a look at the weekend and let you know how i get on thanks :)

Gwiz

fuel leak on b+s 3.5hp
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 23:06 »
Ah, if its the one where you have a fuel pipe, it could also be that there is some "muck" on the carb float needle seat, the needle seat o ring is perished, or the float has sprung a leak.
all are easy fix problems.
good luck. :D

LILACSPLASH

fuel leak on b+s 3.5hp
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 00:11 »
We call ours fireball XL5! the gasket between the tank + carb will never seat because the tank / carb face has warped so blue hylamar does the do, don't know how far you can push it but we went to the heavily smoking level! :shock:
Someone take the spanners away from me!

Gwiz

fuel leak on b+s 3.5hp
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 05:30 »
Yep, I know what you mean!
The only way I have got around that in the past, is to fit about 3 gaskets, each one stuck to the other with hylamar, and the screws then done up very tight.
seemed to work......well, the owner didn't complain anyway, which would either suggest a positive result and he was happy, or there was an accident and he was in no fit state to complain, or he was so angry that it still leaked, he was speachless....... :)

bigsprouts

• Experienced Member
fuel leak on b+s 3.5hp
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 18:21 »
hi gwiz i removed the carb and dismantled it inspected the float could not see any obvious leaks removed float to have a look and nothing on the pin or the little plastic thingy attached to the float (i assume this is the pin)have now put it back together and when mounted to the machine will put some petrol in the tank and try it btw the tip with caving in the exhaust worked a treat thanks (sorry bout no punctuation but grammar not my forte)

Gwiz

fuel leak on b+s 3.5hp
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 18:25 »
don't worry mate, I know what you mean!!
I'm glad the exhaust trick worked for you, I've use it a couple of times myself when one just wouldn't undo.
Did you buy a shiney new exhaust? :D

bigsprouts

• Experienced Member
fuel leak on b+s 3.5hp
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 18:55 »
yes got new exhaust 4 quid now fitted to machine cant find gasket set for carb only in usa so hope i dont need that :D

bigsprouts

• Experienced Member
fuel leak on b+s 3.5hp
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 17:34 »
all stripped down re- assembled and working fine cheers for your help everyone :D

xx
Briggs and Stratton 3.5 fuel leak

Started by SimonIG10 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 24, 2015, 16:50
by grendel
xx
Tap connector that don't leak.

Started by Lardman on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 09:46
by 8doubles
xx
Water butt leak

Started by DFCskip on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post July 18, 2020, 22:33
by jezza
xx
Petrol leak on Mantis 2 stoke

Started by geo46 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2020, 11:05
by Aidy

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 38 queries.