potato grow bags

• 6 Replies

lordthanatos

• 1st Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
potato grow bags
« on: May 08, 2011, 18:20 »
hey all again

im thinking of ( not till next year ) getting a few of them potato grow bag things to use on allotment

i like the idea as it doesnt take up all that much space and I could just pop them here and there where ever I have a big of space

has anyone used these or know if theyre worth the money and effort?

thanks all

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: potato grow bags
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 18:22 »
Used them last year due to (at the time) space issues. You don't get a very sizeable crop from them. :(
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

gypsy

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 18:53 »
I used em last yr too and was not impressed, very small yield, I used em on the concrete area that the last allotment tenant had his greenhouse on. Such a large area of concrete on my plot makes for less growing space. I do not think that people should be allowed to put concrete down on allotment plots.
Catherine

lordthanatos

• 1st Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 20:01 »
ok cool

i did wonder on the yield you would get

yeah that is a real pain re the concrete. Our rules forbid even concrete post holes  which made it specially hard trying to repair a fallen wall on very loose soil

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 20:30 by Yorkie »

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 10:28 »
I too found the crop very small when I tried this last year.  The compost cost far more then the value of the crop produced.  However the idea was to get early potatoes in the greenhouse but this didn't really work out either - much better outside as nature intended.
John

bigben

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 10:43 »
I agree with others about the low yield and the cost of filling them if you used bought compost. If you plan on using them on the allotment you might be better just planting into the soil as the watering will be an issue otherwise. I used them in my garden but they were on the patio and down the path. I used compost from my compost bins topped up with free horse poo which reduced the cost.
If you have an area of your allotment you are covering for some reason - eg need to kill off weeds or just not managed to get dug yet - they are good for holding down a covering and still allowing you to get something back from the space.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 11:00 »
Yield is not very good.

I have 6 bags planted from mid February onwards. We started harvesting a couple of weeks ago. The bags will take us through until the outdoor ones become ready.

The compost is reused for other things - such as hanging baskets and tubs next year.  Costwise: I haven't looked to see what Jersey Royals in the supermarket cost at the moment, but I imagine they aren't particularly cheap?

I delay planting my outdoor ones a bit in order not to have to spend time protecting them from frost.  I plant 10, or so, first-early tubers at the earliest sensible date, and then the rest two or three weeks later, so I only have a handful to fleece / protect from late frosts.

xx
potato grow bags

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2014, 23:22
by Robster
xx
potato in grow bags

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 18:55
by mumofstig
xx
Potato grow bags

Started by tomboy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 10, 2021, 10:08
by tomboy
xx
Cheapest potato grow bags

Started by kingdhesiii on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 22:07
by digalotty

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 38 queries.