shallots

• 5 Replies

hanssg

shallots
« on: November 27, 2016, 21:19 »
hi whats the secret to storing shallots, I have had mine strung up in a lightish cool room and nearly all the lot have turned to dust

jambop

Re: shallots
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 21:49 »
I think the secret is to get them well dried off and then stored in a cool dry place. It could be that you already had some sort of mould spores on them prior to storage and they have rotted.

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 11:37 »
Shallots are often not good keepers. I think one reason for this is that after a few years of saving your own for sets they get virus and things like neck rot which is carried over to the next year. If you intend to pickle them then it is best to do it in good time.

Also, shallots want to start to grow again at this time of year. That is much the same with Autumn planted onion sets which soon start to produce green shoots and go soft

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 13:47 »
I've lost count of the number of years I've been growing saved Golden Gourmet shallots, but this year the crop was extremely poor, so Salmo may well have a point about the build up of moulds and viruses in the stock.

To some extent you can increase the chances of the bulbs keeping if you make sure you don't try to store any which ran to seed, and also try to dry them as quickly and thoroughly as possible (I dry mine in the GH in 'mesh' plastic boxes obtained free from garden centres, using a fan heater on the cold setting to increase the air flow through them.)

I haven't found they try to sprout until early the following spring if I keep them somewhere dark as well as cool and dry - check them periodically for those which haven't read the rule book!  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jambop

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 15:45 »
Grew mine from seed this year Zeebrune and they were very successful too. They are dead easy to bring on but I wonder are the really shallots or just an onion that looks like a very large shallot? Anyway I am growing them again next year. As a matter of interest I have never ever lost a shallot in storage they are incredibly long keepers way better than onions and I usually grow longor.. which look a bit like zeebrune :)

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 20:45 »
I have found the banana type shallots to be excellent keepers.  For a couple of years I have still had some going when the next harvest came in.   The best keeping variety I have tried is Longor.

xx
shallots

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 14:04
by Trillium
xx
Shallots

Started by thestens on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2016, 11:42
by Trikidiki
xx
Shallots.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 16:06
by Paul Plots
xx
Shallots

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 21:26
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 36 queries.