Chicken with a bad foot/leg!?

• 9 Replies

orchard

Chicken with a bad foot/leg!?
« on: June 03, 2009, 08:36 »
Hello all,

Hope you can give me some advice on one of my chickens who has developed a limp and isn't putting much pressure on her one foot.  It started on Saturday, when I saw my partner in the garden looking at one of the chickens and he was holding her up looking at her feet.  When I went out, he said that he thought she was limping but could see no sign of any swelling or any thorns or cuts to the pads.  He put her down and she didn't limp for a while then...!  I didn't actually see her limp until the following day, but since then it has got much worse and she is keeping her tail down when she does move around. 

She's still eating well, and drinking a lot it's just the moving around that is causing her some discomfort.  The foot does look slightly swollen compared to the other foot but we can not see any sign of cuts etc, and can not think of how she might of hurt herself. 

She's about 20 weeks old and an Amber Star (currently being called Amber - original huh?) and we have three other chickens (Rhode Rock, White Star and Light Sussex) who are all fine and dandy). 

If anyone could offer any advice as to what they think it might be or what i can do to help her please let me know.  thank you for reading  :)

Roughlee Handled

Re: Chicken with a bad foot/leg!?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 09:13 »
Have you looked at the sole of the foot?  Does she perch?  How high is your perch?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

orchard

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 19:30 »
Yes, I've checked her feet a couple of times and there doesn't appear to be any difference between her good one and her bad one.  She does perch at night also, which is about a foot high.

peter o

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 19:38 »
hi
i had a chicken with the same problem. The  advice i was given on here was to see if the foot was hot and if not to leave her and hope it got better, which it did although it took several weeks. (if it is hot this suggests infection.

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 20:12 »
i've got the same probelm shes very slowly getting better , the slightest knock or anyhting can make them lame .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

orchard

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 20:25 »
If it was to be warm to the touch, and meaning it could be an infection of some sort, how would be the best way to treat that?  *is running out to check on her chook's foot now*

orchard

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 20:33 »
Just been out to her, and have found that both feet are warm to the touch, however it is rather warm around her ankle kind of area.  Would this suggest that she's just landed badly, and maybe jumping up and down off the roosting pole isn't helping with the healing process? 

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 21:19 »
If it was to be warm to the touch, and meaning it could be an infection of some sort, how would be the best way to treat that?  *is running out to check on her chook's foot now*

orchard have you fallen foul of the bleeper ?  It beeps out words with a *

orchard

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 18:29 »
No... it was an actual "*" placed as an action/some thing I was just about to do... I quote " *is running out to check on her chook's foot now* "

If it was a bleeped word, I'm not sure what it would of been... seeing as there is a star at the begining and end...

Any way... the chook's foot is still no better. 

chickenlicken

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 20:35 »
That is so strange, we too have an Amber Star who has limped since a week after we got her.  We got our chooks at Easter and hurried her off to a local vet who wasn't very helpful and said he couldn't diagnose anything and suspected she had strained her leg.  We tried putting Ibuleve gel on her leg which didn't help.  The vet did say as she was still young, the damage could be permanent and I think he was right.
Our girly is as happy as can be but has a very bad limp, it doesn't stop her though and we are certain that she is in no pain as was the vet.

Hope yours soon better!!

xx
Chicken Foot Problem

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 11:13
by joyfull
xx
Chicken with cut foot...advice needed

Started by Lmo25 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 10:06
by compostqueen
xx
cut foot :(

Started by amyt on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 11:04
by Hensington
xx
Cut Foot

Started by Nails on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 09, 2010, 17:55
by too many girls

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 39 queries.