help! blood in poo

• 7 Replies

themagicaltoad1

help! blood in poo
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:44 »
I'm new to chicken keeping and 4 days ago aquired 3 bantam chicks. They're about 12 weeks old and are all different breeds. This morning I noticed some blood stained poo. After watching them for a while it appears to be the silkie. She doesn't seem any different in her self, (she's always been the tamest and most friendly), but this is quite a lot of blood not just the odd spot and I can't find anything in my books or on the net to tell me what's wrong. They were all reared together, and I have been feeding them growers pellets, they live in a small henhouse with an attached run and we let them out for an hours or so every morning and evening for a nose round the garden. Can anyone help? I know we've only had them a short while but we've become very attached to them.

Roughlee Handled

Re: help! blood in poo
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 12:06 »
Welcome to the mad house.
Check against the poo chart. See if any match.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:07 »
Have a look on these pages to see if you find one that looks like yours or rather your chickens  :D You will find lots and lots of different poos most of which are normal.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0
Staffies are softer than you think.

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 12:08 »
The silkie has coccidiosis and needs to be treated ASAP with Coxoid available from most feed stores. If they are on "medicated" chick crumb, (most commercial chick crumb has a coccistat to help prevent cocci) stop this while on  the Coxoid treatment and use an organic chick crumb(or unmedicated chick crumb) as the medicated chick crumb will have an effect on the coxoid. Also make sure you dont give any vitamin supplements until  a few weeks after treatment with Coxoid. all your young birds will need to be treated.
Good luck!

have a look here for more info:    http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26001.0

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 12:14 »
sorry, just realised they are on growers! Just check to see whether unmedicated or not :)

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 12:37 »
Thanks for all the advice. I have checked out the links and the poo with coccidiosis certainly looks like it, so I'll be getting some coxoid. Seems odd that her poo was fine up til today and the other two chicks are pooing normally.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 12:56 »
get them all treated, they can pick it up from wild birds.

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 15:29 »
Thanks for all the advice. I have checked out the links and the poo with coccidiosis certainly looks like it, so I'll be getting some coxoid. Seems odd that her poo was fine up til today and the other two chicks are pooing normally.

Unfortunately it that time of year again, warm, wet hot conditions which the cocci oyccsts love.. >:( >:(

xx
Blood in the egg

Started by stujem on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 12:14
by TeaPots
xx
Blood in egg

Started by rainbowspells on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 21, 2008, 17:29
by mumsy
xx
blood on egg

Started by dianemk73 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 16:30
by dianemk73
xx
blood in egg

Started by gladis on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 19:43
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 40 queries.