This time next year...

• 10 Replies

Only1Dionne

This time next year...
« on: December 27, 2009, 01:55 »
I am so, so looking forward to having plates and plates of veggies that I haven't had to buy! I've been saying to everyone: "This time next year, you won't have to buy any veggies at all, they'll all come from me!"

Let's hope its true, eh? :-)   

suziet88

• Experienced Member
Re: This time next year...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 07:54 »
I said the same thing too!  Fingers crossed!

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 08:31 »
It is very exciting.  I focused so much on my brussels sprouts that I didn't think of anything else!  Next year I may aim to have grown all our Christmas day veg.  Must admit, it isn't the most productive of times, that is in the summer, but it is definitely possible to have grown everything for Christmas day, lots of people on here have done it.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 09:02 »
Me too. 

And I'm having great fun planning.  I now have my final design on a big piece of paper.  All the paths drawn in, and 2010 plantings all mapped out. 

Now comes the hard work.  I've only got about a sixth of the rabbit proof fencing put in so far, and I still need to dig most of the plot.  (All the undug stuff has been under plastic or weed matting since July though so hopefully the weeds have died off).

Still, the thought "this time next year" makes the hard work to come, worthwhile!

Penny  :D
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

bailey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 12:40 »
you won't have to buy any veggies at all, they'll all come from me!"

I said that once and regretted it they took it seriously and expected the veg for every meal, cheeky sods soon stopped though when I saved the slugs and carefully planted them in the veg they had. heheheh

titch

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 13:17 »
had mostly our own veggies this year and it was fab.........note to self, next year more carrots and avoid getting blighty spuds  :lol:
just keep breathing................

Poolfield2

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 15:55 »
I did the new potatoes in a bag in the polytunnel  for Christmas but we would have been very hungry if I hadn't bought some as back up :lol:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 09:40 »
I said that a couple of years ago and I'm pleased to say that we've been mostly self-sufficent since.

The best bit is the kids / family saying "I hate sprouts**" (** Replace as appropriate!) and actually after they try a couple of home grown ones they realise what proper flavour is - compared to stewed-school-food, or even supermarket-bought for that matter  :)

Christmas was Brussels, Parsnips, Leeks, Spuds (stored from main crop harvest) - all of which are pretty normal / straightforward - and also Celeriac and Jerusalem artichokes (Personally I reckon they give very good return / area and can be grown in a clump in an out-of-the-way area). Also have Swede in the ground, so its not that barren a time ...

solway cropper

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 23:08 »
I'm glad that I grew some veg in tubs in the unheated greenhouse otherwise we wouldn't have had much of a Christmas dinner :( The ground was so hard you couldn't get a spade in it and it looks set to continue for a while yet.

If you plan things right and have some protection for your veg you can still have a decent selection in the middle of winter. I'm picking lettuce, spring onions and beetroot from tubs to put in my turkey sandwiches and the swiss chard is a useful addition to the usual meat and two veg.

Then of course there's all the stuff in the freezer.......

This time next year I'll be trying to figure out how to squeeze more out of my plot. OH says I'm not allowed to dig up the front lawn.

poppies

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 11:14 »
Wait untill the runner bean harvest,  relatives, friends, and  neighbours run when they see you coming with another  carrier bag full of beans

Poolfield2

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 16:29 »
Wait untill the runner bean harvest,  relatives, friends, and  neighbours run when they see you coming with another  carrier bag full of beans

:lol: :lol:

xx
This time last year

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 19:47
by scattygirl
xx
What is everybody doing at this time of year?

Started by adekun on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post December 24, 2006, 17:28
by Ice
xx
what to sow at this time of year?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 13:01
by mumofstig
xx
This time last year!!

Started by taytors on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 23:09
by Totty

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 38 queries.