Allotment plan

• 22 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Allotment plan
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 17:27 »
I can't see too big a problem with that.  I think you'll find that smaller areas are easier to cover than long rows.

argaric

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 09:21 »
I am with Aunt Sally on the paths, I have one permanent path up the middle of my plot and then use boards where I need them as my beds change size each year depending on what I am trying to grow and there is a wide variety of soil conditions on my plot.

Regards,
  Argaric

Kieron

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 14:11 »
Terrible at replying! Sorry!

Some really good comments and certainly given me food for thought. The amount of paths came about due to wanted as many seperate beds. My intention isn't to be self sufficient but to start off growing what I can and take from there.

The large number of beds, I hope, will allow me to manage areas more easily as I can change soil conditions or cover up completely when not in use.

However, based on your comments I have seen a number of improvements I can make so thank you very much for you responses.

Cheers

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 14:48 »
Terrible at replying! Sorry!

Some really good comments and certainly given me food for thought. The amount of paths came about due to wanted as many seperate beds.

you could always put a divide of some sort in the bed (like a plank on its side) - that way it's separated but not with a path.
if that makes sense.

Scribbler

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 11:14 »
Trebor that's not an allotment plan - it's a work of art!

Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 12:10 »
Trebor that's not an allotment plan - it's a work of art!

That’s a simplified version – you should see the one I did for my own allotment. Then again I did have 6 months to plan it!

lil9angel

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 14:42 »
I have set up 4 big beds with 4 smaller beds in each and I scaled this to the size of your plot so you can see how it would work (see the attachment). You could put the shed and compost areas at the top (or side if you rotate the plan).

It is my first year, but the plan is to rotate the beds around each year and since they are exactly the same size it should make planning pretty easy. At the moment it seems to work with the small paths meaning I can get to the middle of all beds without wasting much space on paths.

I also use the small beds for fussy crops (parsnips, caulis, sweetcorn) so they are easy to get to being in the centre of the plot.

This year is beans in bed A, roots in bed B, onions in bed C and brassicas in bed D for me.

At the end of the day it is all down to what works for you - it also helps to nose around other peoples plots (I have ideas for a pond and shed shelving because of this!)

Trebor Could you re-attach your plan? I cant seem to open it and its sound like it would be a useful plan for me

Thank you

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 14:47 »
I'm afraid you're unlikely to get a reply as Trebor hasn't been on the forum since  2011.
The plan was posted way back in 2009.

clip
Allotment Plan - Am I being unrealistic?

Started by Kimsportinfo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 15, 2018, 21:35
by Tenhens
clip
Allotment planting plan for next year??

Started by Mattgregory27 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post December 16, 2014, 22:17
by cadalot
clip
First plan

Started by gaztop on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post August 07, 2013, 17:23
by gaztop
xx
ok, plan B........

Started by lincspoacher on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 18:50
by lincspoacher

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 37 queries.