What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #945 on: April 22, 2013, 13:58 »
We had a day off the allotment yesterday, but spent Saturday with my family at the plot.  It was sunny, although the wind was still a little chilly.

My husband and I continued digging the partially cultivated beds, incorporating HM compost and grit into the heavy clay.  We also topped up the new asparagus bed ready to be planted next week. 

I set up another lasagne bed.  This gives us a total of 6 new beds ready to plant, plus four more planned.

I will hopefully start planting properly this week.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #946 on: April 22, 2013, 14:14 »
Planted 20 celeriac under pop bottle cloches, three rows of carrots under veggie mesh and brassicas have gone in under brassica net
image.jpg
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

Eblana

« Reply #947 on: April 22, 2013, 14:25 »
Great weekend down the lottie - didn't even have time to log on over the weekend!!

Saturday -

Still can't get my mantis tiller working so I sent it off to be repaired, fingers crossed it will be back today or tomorrow as I have lots of beds that need to be rotovated.

Had feared that a couple of my buddies from the plots might have given up but they were all there on Saturday so we appear to have only lost one who has gotten a plot closer to his house.  There is a possibility of another leavings in June when his rent is up due, due to ill health but we will see can we convince him to stay by offering to do the heavy work for him between us.

One of the lads left me a tray of tomato plants - enough to do an army.  I already have all mine doing nicely but I potted 40+ of these up, will plant some in between the strawberries in the PT and others I will give to my neighbours and to a plant sale for charity in a couple of weeks time.

I also got some Sunflower seedlings in exchange for some Broad bean seedlings.  They only had their first true leaves so I took them home and potted them up in the Greenhouse for a while longer - way too cold for those poor things to be outside!

I managed to get two of the beds dug over in between all the chatting and OH got first lot of potatoes in.  I got onions and garlic which were growing in pots into the ground finally and also got my Broad Beans in. 

Came home tired and sore but boy was I happy and I slept like a log.

Sunday -

Laid soak hose in final bed in PT.  Tightened up all the nuts and bolts on my water container to stop it leaking everywhere.  Put down Nematodes for Vine Weevel in the PT.  Tidied up and took all the rubbish away to the dump.  Planted up 50 Strawberry Plants that will eventually go into the bed in the PT where the Nematodes are currently doing their evil work.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 14:33 by Eblana »

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #948 on: April 22, 2013, 16:01 »
Spent a few hours this morning clearing a section overgrown with couch grass. 

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #949 on: April 22, 2013, 20:29 »
Got cold :tongue2:

snowdrops

« Reply #950 on: April 22, 2013, 21:24 »
Not at the plot but in the potting shed after dinner I potted on some plants from the garden that I separated from the parent plants yesterday and some dahlia tubers & a canna lily that I bought on Thursday.Then I planted out some spent daffodils,crocus & lily katherine Hodgekins that had been in pots on the patio.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #951 on: April 23, 2013, 13:22 »
Planted a row of salsify and row of red lettuce

grendel

« Reply #952 on: April 23, 2013, 14:47 »
another 5 rows of pea / bean mix planted.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #953 on: April 23, 2013, 18:03 »
Potted up my toms into 6inch pots sowed my corgettes and scrubbed the decking down, all my sowings are coming along loverly now.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #954 on: April 23, 2013, 18:07 »
I spent a lovely day at the plot today, going straight after dropping the children off at school.

I finished the asparagus bed and got it planted up with my two varieties. 

I added manure into the bean bed and got my broad bean plants in at last.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 22:08 by angelavdavis »

Steveharford

« Reply #955 on: April 23, 2013, 18:32 »
Potted up some early PSB seedlings. Got the big pots ready for toms. Thought about emptying the compost heap. .....
Erected a new gazebo. Hope it's there in the morning.
Took the make-do cloche (corrugated perspex just laid flat) off my beetroot sowings and very pleased with the full row having germinated.  Gave em a good soak and left the 'cloche' off.
No sign of carrots or parsnip yet. Gave them a soak anyway.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 18:34 by Steveharford »

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #956 on: April 23, 2013, 18:55 »
Was going to water the garden but ended up soaking my feet instead...Discovered that my hosepipe had developed terminal kinks over the winter.  What can you do to recycle a leaky hosepipe? Ideas anybody?
Anne

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #957 on: April 23, 2013, 19:13 »
This morning I tried to splat a couple of what were probably fungus gnats hovering over my newly-germinated parsley seedlings in the kitchen and managed to knock the pot and contents all over the pots and pans on the draining board. Much practising of ancient English words rarely heard in churches (only because it's St George's day, of course) and careful re-potting ensued! :mad:

Am currently watering the veg area with the hoze nozzle tied in a very Heath-Robinson way to a garden fork stuck in the soil (still quite windy so nearly as good as a sprinkler!)

Annen: not sure garden hose is either recyclable or has a "new" use in large quantities - one or maybe two leaks can be bridged with connectors but as far as I know it's still a reasonably cheap item to buy new.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Beetroot queen

« Reply #958 on: April 23, 2013, 20:13 »
I looked for my asparagus (no sign)
I weeded a few paths. And then I watered, stop laughing my plot are like a dust bowl. I did it by watering can and then wished I'd just got the hose out as back and forth three million times had me pooped. Now the water butts are empty and I didn't have the energy left to fill them back up.
Walked down to the community poly and watered my lettuce, beetroot and carrots and radish.

blackberryjam

« Reply #959 on: April 23, 2013, 21:54 »
Went to my plot after work, sown mixed lettuces ,and bumblebee friendly flowers to attract them to the plot  :)

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy

Page created in 0.411 seconds with 40 queries.