onion?white rot

• 6 Replies

Annie

onion?white rot
« on: September 07, 2007, 12:49 »
I`ve just lifted a few onions to eat green and have found that they have a white fluffy mould on them.The rest of the onions are not ready to pull as the foliage is only just beginning to yellow at the tips,do I just pull them all now or chance leaving them or will they just rot?
I had shallots growing next to the onions and non were effected and now have leeks growing well on the other side and have read that they may not be effected.Is it possible that it is just an isolated bit of the ground that has got this and if so what can I do about it.These onions were grown from seed and this bed is only in its second year of cultivation have had potatoes on it last year.

I am beginning to wonder if there are any diseases,moulds rots andfly/animal pests I have missed this year...am off to eat a courgette to cheer myself up! :?

muntjac

onion?white rot
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 12:51 »
pull them now let them dry of in the sun .then place on wire racks .... old metal bed frames the bunk bed types are great for this .. or chicken wire nailed between two pallets on edge
still alive /............

Annie

onion?white rot
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 12:58 »
What sun is this?Will they still dry from fully green?I am using one of those bathroom tidy things that hang on the back of the door and has 6 tiers of wire trays ,freecycle is wonderful!

WG.

onion?white rot
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 13:00 »
Is the mould starting from the base or from the neck?  It might not be white rot.

Annie

onion?white rot
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 13:03 »
The roots,the neck all feel firm and it looks a bit like the pictures in my books though not as bad.

WG.

onion?white rot
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 13:17 »
Roots is bad.

It might be fusarium rot so perhaps you could Google up some images of that to compare against white rot.

Annie

onion?white rot
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 13:37 »
Think it`s white rot!Could only find one picture of fusarium rot on onions and it looked nothing like mine.

xx
onion white rot.

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 20, 2016, 15:31
by grinling
thumbup
onion white rot

Started by alfman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 11, 2015, 12:44
by mumofstig
xx
onion white rot

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2017, 15:02
by azubah
xx
Onion white rot.

Started by Jakell on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 20:35
by BigPaddy

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 38 queries.