WARNING - Chicken coop arrived - it's rubbish!!!!!

• 44 Replies

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
WARNING - Chicken coop arrived - it's rubbish!!!!!
« on: April 22, 2013, 19:54 »
Hi everyone.  Wanted to post a warning to everyone thinking of buying a cheap chicken coop.

We ordered this chicken coop and this is what we have just unpackaged.

They are now saying we have to pay for the return of the coop.  So customer service absolutely sucks too.  Another battle on our hands with an unreasonable company. 

Edited by Admin. to remove company name for legal reasons.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

splash101

Re: WARNING - Chicken coop arrived - it's rubbish!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 20:31 »
I'm sure under Distance Selling regulations, they are required to pay for the return of the the coop.

Trading Standards and Citizens advice may be your best bet but it doesn't make up for a poor product and poor customer services  :(

If you paid by credit card and it was over £100 you might be covered.

Sorry that it hasnt been a great start.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 20:55 »
Wanted to post a warning to everyone thinking of buying a cheap chicken coop.

Many times on these forums we have warned members not to buy cheep wooden coops.  This emphasises why :(

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 22:10 »
HERE is a link for a site explaining your rights on Distance Selling.  I hope it is of some help. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 22:20 »
HERE is a link for a site explaining your rights on Distance Selling.  I hope it is of some help.

FANTASTIC!!!

Many thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 22:22 »
Keep us up to date on what you do and how you get on so that other members will benefit from your experience.  I hope that you get a full refund including the postage.    :)

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 01:38 »
Just out of interest, why didnt you get some sheets of ply (from wickes or any decent supplier) and make one yourself, I am sure there would have been plenty of advice here on what to get, sizes,

I made my own, after seing the silly prices they wanted

Mine may not be the best or perfect, but my hens are snug, never lost any to the cold, just to foxes when the wife didnt check they were inside
It's all about the journey, not the destination

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 10:10 »
Some people do not feel confident enough to build their own coops.
I would always advise everybody to go and see a coop before buying one and buy the best that you can afford whether that is wood or plastic - it certainly pays off in the long run.
Good luck with getting your money back.
Staffies are softer than you think.

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 11:03 »
It's a long story!

We started keeping chickens about four years ago and have a hobby hen house from flyte so fancy.  It is fantastic quality and we are very pleased with the service we got from them, faultless, but it is soo impractical. 

After another winter getting on our knees in the mud and scrubbing we decided we really wanted something more practical.  But we can't afford another high quality house.  So we found the Sussex coop from a widely publicised website, which had great reviews.  I searched everywhere for reviews that weren't direct from their website and couldn't find any.  So we believed their own publicity. It was just under £200.

Four panels were completely split.  The wood was balsa wood.  It would blow away in a small breeze.  Absolutely not fit for purpose. 

The company have said we have to pay to return it, and if it does not arrive back to them in a resellable condition (which is hilarious given that it did not arrive to us in a sellable condition) with all the included packaging intact they will not refund!  They also say we are liable for any damage caused to it in transit back to them.  Well have you ever tried repacking a chicken coop in pieces into two tightly fitting flat cardboard boxes... Impossible.  I'm afraid there was no way that the polystyrene was going back in those boxes, they wouldn't even close.  Luckily I have got photos of the broken panels so they can't possibly say we caused the damage.  But I get the feeling they are going to be more than difficult.

I have quoted the law to them, and so far today no response.  They don't give you a phone number on the website and they don't give you one all the way through the buying process.

As for making our own coop - would love to but we are just not capable of doing it.  It would be ramshackle to say the least!!!

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 11:09 »
you may have to resort to taking them to the small claims court to get your money back and all your expenses, before doing this again send them another letter but do it by recorded or special letter so that you have proof that they have received it.

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 11:11 »
Hoping we might also be covered by the credit card

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 11:14 »
for future reference one good coop that is wooden but easy to clean (takes 3 minutes according to Hillfooter) is this, however again it's not cheap, but with annually treating will last you for over 10 years.

splash101

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 11:40 »
My first one was cheap, a lot cheaper than £200 but it was good quality and not soft wood.

I've still got it and use it for rearing chicks or a broody hen. Its still in good condition, its just not big enough in my opinion for more than 2-3 bigger birds despite the advert saying fit for 5.

Whatever it is you're buying and whatever price you pay, it should still be fit for purpose. I hate shoddy companies.

pepsi100

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 14:47 »
I went ad saw what was on offer, took a tape measure/note pad/pen with me, then went home and measured it all out, then bought a couple of sheets of ply and some cuprinol, had it quite some time now

The price of ply and cuprinol has gone up,  >:(

Depends how far away you are, I vcould give you a hand (i got saws, hammers, screw drivers) :)

I maybe a plumber, but I put my kitchen in and made my water bed frame  :)

It could be expensive taking them to court (been there, done that) its the time you take off work/travelling (its supposed to be easy) your CC maybe able to help (hopefully)

I hate buying online, even with that auction website, we all know the one  ;)

I think the company should have been named so others can avoid them  ;)

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 14:50 »
the small claims court is very easy and cheap to do - most of it can be done on-line  :)

xx
Feel Like a Rubbish Chicken Keeper ...........

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 05, 2012, 21:40
by Pixieswift
xx
Chicken Lice; word of warning

Started by SnooziSuzi on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 17:14
by virgotiger
question
DIY Chicken Coop

Started by Muckytyke on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 19:55
by birmancats
xx
Chicken coop

Started by wildeone on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 19:04
by wildeone

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 40 queries.