Stunted growth

• 6 Replies

SocksOn

Stunted growth
« on: May 25, 2011, 18:15 »
Hi

In some of my plants ie tomatoes, runner beans and peas, have had some stunned growth they seem to just have stopped however things like courgettes sunflowers corn and squash are growing like crazy.

Has anyone else had this? we are down south, someone else has mentioned the same to me and I'm wondering if there were others out there too. I'm also wondering if its the weather as seeds sow in the ground are failing to germinate too or are very hit and miss (well the ones that havent been eaten by the birds)

Thanks

digwell123

Re: Stunted growth
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 18:52 »
Yes, i too have found this. Some soil planted runner and climbing french beans have not come. patchy sweetcorn. But early carrott and parsnip are really good. Beetroot ok, broad beans and peas ok. Most odd!!
Rotorvators rule!

mdjlucan

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 05:39 »
same here runners very slow look like they stop growing?
metal detector man

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 05:59 »
Hi

In some of my plants ie tomatoes, runner beans and peas, have had some stunned growth

When you say "stunted growth", have they just stopped growing, or are they distorted?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 09:01 »
I've noticed May this year has been pretty poor - a lot of stuff should be galloping by now, but some of the squashes, sweetcorn and beans that like it warm and sunny are stalling.  My sweetcorn should be well ahead of what they are now, and I'm even thinking of sowing another batch.  I had some stuff "hardening" off a couple of weeks ago, but when it got cold I had to move them all back into the greenhouse in the hope they would recover.  Now I need to harden them off again and also get my greenhouse back for what I want to crop in the there, and the wind just won't stop blowing  :mad:

The pleasures of growing your own  :nowink:

SocksOn

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 20:15 »
No distortion just seem to stop growing and are flowering.

Glad its not just me I was worried I was doing something wrong - hopefully the rain today will help a little as soil is so dusty. I've harvested a courgette today on the plus side so not everythings too bad but I think I will sow things again for later on in the year - well if they germinate (*fingers crossed*) we had better results in February and March

Christine

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 09:10 »
You will find that we have had our seasons backwards with a hot April, three dry months for most of us and gales in May. I'm not sure what season it is so the plants are probably feeling the same. We can add water and protect a little from wind but we really need the seasons to follow in proper succession to get things to grow well.

xx
Rhubarb With Stunted Growth

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2012, 07:58
by greenhead
xx
Stunted Tom

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 05, 2019, 12:02
by JayG
xx
Stunted Shallots

Started by Aled on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 22, 2017, 16:38
by arh
xx
2nd year of stunted sweetcorn

Started by themoog on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 15:52
by JayG

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 38 queries.