Help please! Poor bullied ducklings....

• 50 Replies

heatherhsp

Help please! Poor bullied ducklings....
« on: June 12, 2009, 09:00 »
We have recently moved and along with the house came a few magpie ducks, who are all but wild.  They only come for food, and never go into a shelter of any sort, we have a river next to the house, and fields around us.  Anyway... about 4 or 5 weeks ago, along came the gorgeous ducklings, there are 8 left now (out of 12).  Problem is, they are completely on their own now, the adults are chasing them away constantly, poor things.  I know a problem is that the adults are 4 drakes and only 1 female.  but what can I do with the drakes?  Esp the one who is doing most of the chasing! Then, I suppose I need homes for some ducklings too?  It's really upsetting to see them chased off.  They're only small.  Should I try to keep them in my garden bit, try to fence it off?  I've really no idea!  Sorry.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Help please! Poor bullied ducklings....
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 09:11 »
High heatherhsp and welcome. I dare say when Rob (poultrygeist) signs on he will give you loads of advice. Last year he cared for several mallards and is looking after another this year. If you have a spare hour have a look on the chicken chat pages under the item mallard brood (hundreds of pages and photos) this may give you some hints on the best thing to do  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

heatherhsp

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 09:18 »
oh cheers for that.  will have a look now!

Vember

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 09:20 »
Hi Heather & Welcome to the Hen House :D

As Joyfull has said Rob has first experience of raising "wild" ducklings and will be able to give you loads of advice :D

Personally As they are still relatively young I would try and catch them and get them in to some sort of safe run. As they wont be getting flight feathers for another 3/4 weeks they are at the mercy of any predators :( You could loose more :(

Best of luck with them :D

Sarah :)

heatherhsp

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 12:36 »
Cheers Sarah

Just back from town, armed with netting to keep them in the gate, something for water play etc!  Think they'll miss the river though, but guess it's only temporary.  Have to wait for them to show up today now.  Adults are all on our field sleeping very peacefully - they don't look like bullies at all at the moment!

Thanks again

Heather

Vember

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 13:20 »
It should all calm down once the boys start to moult :D

Feel very sorry for the girl though :( I have one here who gets more than her fair share of male attention :(

Naughty boy ducks, do they stay all year round? Did the people you got the house from say?
If they do then it may be an idea to try to sort out the extra boys by some means re- homing or ...... 
Sadly the same will happen again next year and the chances are there will be more boys if you keep the little ones you have now.

Sarah :)

heatherhsp

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 18:04 »
Yes, I think they need rehoming.  I can't bear the thought of the other alternative...
anybody want to give them a happy home?

Vember

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 18:10 »
Girls yes boys no sorry, got my fair share of those already :lol:

Where abouts are you? You never know someone may be able to help :D

Sarah :D

heatherhsp

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 18:27 »
In the Yorkshire Dales.  Swaledale.  There must be some lonely females somewhere surely! ::)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 18:37 »
Bother, we had a member in Yorkshire just last week looking for a duckling! She's got one now though.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

heatherhsp

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 18:56 »
oh no!!  surely two would be better!!  ;)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 18:57 »
She already had one, it needed company. Of course two or more is always best. :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 20:06 »
Hi heather. Just catching up briefly.  :)

Sound advice already given. I would think they'll want something to coral them in but beware, they can wriggle through a keyhole ! :D

Biggest problem is keeping them safe from predators. If you can get them to go into some sort of box that you can weatherproof or at least a "bus shelter" type of setup to keep the elements off them. I'm assumign they have some feathers starting to grow ?
The biggest amongst them should assume the lead, proective role and the others will follow, so if you need to herd them, go for that one !

Good luck. WOn't be around much, but lookign forward to photos and updates.  :)

Swaledale is a very, very nice area. I'll come up and act as duckherd if you want  :D

Rob 8)

heatherhsp

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 20:46 »
Thanks Rob!  Waiting for them to come back.  Haven't seen them all day, which is a worry.  Poor things didn't come back until nearly dark last night either though.  :(

poultrygeist

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 21:11 »
Are they actually 'attached' to the house or are they wild but know where to come for food ?

We have a regular string of visitors who are well catered for but they are completely wild. Our little charge will return to the lake in a week or two (once his wings get bigger than two inches long ::)).
The legalities of the wildlife act come into play if they're wild except for situations where they are in immediate danger eg. orphaned ducklings. We feed rabbit food and mixed corn which gives a good balance plus vit B in the cereals.

Rob 8)

xx
Poor chicken being bullied :-((

Started by chick with chicks on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 22:44
by newChickenMummy
xx
poor poor tweety --- incubators suck

Started by babe on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 18:25
by Midwife
xx
One hen being bullied

Started by AbbyB on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 29, 2024, 20:09
by jaydig
xx
Hen being bullied..HELP.

Started by georget on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 12:58
by Sassy

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 39 queries.