Maggots

• 2 Replies

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Maggots
« on: March 31, 2007, 08:29 »
Hi, Well Muntjac  I tried the maggot option as my new bribing tool but after the mealworms I got looks of disapointment and disgust.  I suppose if you had been given Caviar this was like cockles!!

I am trying food scraps and so far have offered, left over mashed potato, cooked rice, porrridge, crumbled weetabix dry and some leftover tinned sweetcorn.  The enthusiasm level is nil on most of this.

I am trying to offer titbits for the chicks as they don't seem that keen on the chick crumbs, any ideas what else to offer them, they are eating but I worry if they are getting enough.  They look healthy enough but I know small creatures can go down hill so fast its scary.
thanks
Sandra    

muntjac

Maggots
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 11:03 »
ok you must stop feeding the titbits to the chicks as of now your pouring stuff down them ,thier body systems are not meant to cope with  , an ant is a titbit for a chick when its mom tells it "yeh hon you can eat that" ...would you give a toffee to a new born baby ? just feed them the crumbs  and plenty of access to grass . make sure mom doesnt get to eating all the crumb and they have plenty of water in drinkers they can reach they wil be fine , if it is suny you can take the chicks and mom outside  and put the pen out there . my chicks are born outdoors in coops as you see on the coop pictures , yours wil need to be " hardened off " to the outdoors if they are indoors all the time . feed the meal worms and maggots if you want its your money and your treats  im not saying dont . oh and make sure the you dont over do the sweetcorn ,it contains a high salt level . wash it off afore you feed it  :wink:
still alive /............

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Maggots
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 12:23 »
oh crickey, good job you told me, thank goodness someone here knows what they're doing, thanks very much.  Nearly made true the saying "killing them with kindness" misplaced kindness at that.

I feel really stupid now, I am an old softy and would never knowingly do them any harm.  I bought a brilliant book yesterday but knowing you are all here is great as there is nothing like people with true hands on experience.

My OH has just converted an old single wooden wardrobe into a new night box for mum and babies.  We have it one of our garages, raised on blocks to stop draughts.  This will help get them used to a slightly less mild climate and ready for the coop when its time for them to go in.

I can lock the garage at night to keep intruders out and they can have free run on inclement days with a mesh door on the garage so they have light and air.  Have a look and see what you think, do I need to change anything please?  The bedroom area will have hay and open area shavings.

They will be able to go in and out as they please on fine days too.

xx
maggots

Started by barley on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 31, 2013, 18:14
by agapanthus
xx
maggots

Started by agingchick on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 13, 2008, 21:03
by Mr Chookles
xx
Maggots

Started by bluecharlie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2014, 10:27
by Sassy
xx
Maggots

Started by massa on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 21:36
by massa

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 38 queries.