New to chickens & poo

• 15 Replies

Asherweef

New to chickens & poo
« on: September 13, 2014, 13:49 »
Sorry to be a bother, but as you may remember we are new to keeping chickens. We have 3 who are all eating well, putting on weight and seem quite happy and active scratching around in the eun. One of those however, a blue ranger, has produced a couple of light brown poos (picture attached) over the past few days. I've done a bit of research and understand that this might be a cecal poo, but it seems to be ever so slightly foamy and she's produced a couple in the past few days. Further research has shown that if it is a foamy poo she should be very lethargic, not eating much and not putting on weight but she seems to be doing the opposite.

I've looked over the poo thread and it seems between cecal and foamy?

Hope you can help!

ghost61

Re: New to chickens & poo
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 15:39 »
I don't think you've anything to worry about if she is eating and active.  Don't get too worked up about their poo.  Mine produce so many different sorts depending on what they've eaten, that I look more at them than their poo,to judge if something is wrong.

I would worm them now if I were you, just to be on the safe side.

Enjoy your hens!!

Asherweef

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 17:32 »
Thanks for that Ghost, it's just I've seen a few of those and a few today now :(

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 09:44 »
It could well be caecal poo which does tend to be foamy, at least it was in my hens. As long as she is active I would not worry. It is good advice to worm especially if you have not done so for a while :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Asherweef

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 11:25 »
It could well be caecal poo which does tend to be foamy, at least it was in my hens. As long as she is active I would not worry. It is good advice to worm especially if you have not done so for a while :)

Hi Sassy, do you just use the Verm-X pellets instead of normal layers?

ghost61

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 15:07 »
To worm hens you need to either get hold of flubenvet powder from a vet, or via the internet, or you can get the flubenvet premixed into their layer pellets.  Both are fed to them for seven days.  No treats and restrict their free ranging so that they take the full dose. 

The verm-x pellets are just a precaution against worms, not medication to get rid of any potential worms they may have.

Asherweef

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 18:24 »
To worm hens you need to either get hold of flubenvet powder from a vet, or via the internet, or you can get the flubenvet premixed into their layer pellets.  Both are fed to them for seven days.  No treats and restrict their free ranging so that they take the full dose. 

The verm-x pellets are just a precaution against worms, not medication to get rid of any potential worms they may have.

Thanks for that Ghost - I've done some research and my birds were wormed just before I got them c.1 month ago but I think I may still do it as a precaution; I've used ACV for 1 week (I'm doing days 1-7 of the month) and have been sanitising the ground in the run for them. Probably overreacting as again she seems fine (other than her being naturally shy).

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 09:02 »
Agree with Ghost :)

Asherweef

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 18:35 »
Well - she's still doing funny poos but I managed to grab her (after shutting the other 2 in the coop for 5 minutes!) and she seems to be heavier than the others (as is her breed) so I'm not concerned about her losing weight.

All I need to sort out now is to get her out of the coop - she's not half sulking & is refusing to come out!!! I am such a bad daddy.

Asherweef

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 19:02 »
Also just caught one of the girls pulling some back feathers out :(

ghost61

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 19:18 »
Presumably from another hen?  Monitor the behaviour and if it gets aggressive try some anti peck spray.  I think you might be worrying too much, but better that than neglect!

Asherweef

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 06:36 »
I really hope it's needless worrying but now one hen is following her around the run pecking the same spot on her back (she now has a 10p size space patch).

Springlands

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 08:14 »
You need to get some purple spray for the bald patch  - if you do not have any your local chicken supplies place should have some. It acts as a deterrent to further pecking and as an antiseptic.

Sassy

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 08:41 »
Do check she isn't carrying any passengers, remember they can be very hard to see :)

ghost61

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 14:32 »
Do watch out if any blood is drawn by the harassing bird.  That will spell trouble and I would then isolate the bullied bird till she recovers.  Good luck, but mine like to clean each other bottoms of poo sometimes and as the poo sets solid that can result in the loss of an odd feather or two.  Mine are also in the state of a London moult and that seems concentrated on their bottom area,making them look a little thin down below!

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
what chickens

Started by staffschicks on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post November 13, 2008, 18:50
by staffschicks

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 39 queries.