Shall I cut down the plum tree?

• 3 Replies

Comfr3y

Shall I cut down the plum tree?
« on: September 20, 2014, 19:23 »
evening all

The tree was planted as a bare root (victoria) about 5 or more years ago.  "someone" pruned the leader and everything else at about 4.5 feet high and it has been pretty hacked about spindly growth and a bit of rust. it's been negected, has never fruited (I'm told). I have cleared the area and leaves etc fed it. I was going to leave it in prune it in spring feed and see what happens before deciding but I've read its a bad idea to prune the leader in the first couple of years so it might be a lost cause.

if its not a lost cause then i'll leave it in and take stock but i have a feelin its dun for after reading a bit about pruning. any thoughts what say ye all - defer sentence or be off with it?

mobilekat

Re: Shall I cut down the plum tree?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 22:20 »
I would give it a year to see what happens

Our Plum tree at our old house got 'Pruned' and nearly killed by our old cat- who pretty much de-barked it by using the trunk to scratch on- including right through the graft etc

After I resisted the urge to strangle the cat- (who eventually died of old age a few year later!) and then made a trunk protector out of plastic bottles I gave the tree time to recover, and it went on to be an amazing little tree- giving over 30lb of fruit a year, not bad for a 6 foot high, slightly deformed and wonky tree

The only regret we had about moving house was not being able to take the tree with us!!

So if you can give it a chance- you never know!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 14:48 »
I'd give it a year, but make sure the ground is clear of grass and weeds for around 2 foot from the trunk and mulch now and give it some growmore in the spring.

Comfr3y

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 21:24 »
Thanks both

I put a greaseband on it, some weed suppressant around the bottom - and see whether it likes the attention. it's alive!

on the other hand the cardoon is definately coming out......

xx
Plum tree

Started by Gardener and Rabbit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2015, 16:39
by jaydig
xx
Plum tree help

Started by richyrich7 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 29, 2007, 09:44
by Aunt Sally
xx
plum tree

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2020, 22:15
by Aidy
xx
plum tree

Started by Matthew Gayles on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 21:03
by SG6

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 38 queries.