Help with Apple Tree Please

• 6 Replies

SCassin

• Experienced Member
Help with Apple Tree Please
« on: September 11, 2013, 16:20 »
I don't have any fruit trees but my dad has a smallish apple and he asked me a question today and I don't know the answer so Im hoping one of you wonder peeps do   ;)

He pruned his apple tree last year and this year it is loaded with fruit on the old wood.  However it has new branches about 1-2 foot long shooting out of the pruned ends etc.  He thinks this new growth will hinder the final development of the fruit and wants to trim it back to when he pruned it to last year.  Should he do this now or wait till he harvests the fruit?  As said he thinks all the trees goodness is going to growing the branches and not the fruit is he correct??  He only has a small garden and is concerned it getting to big again and he has just been diagnosed with cancer and is having an op next week so is also concerned if he doesn't do it know he will be too unwell to do it later.  Ive said I can do it when time is right but he wants to do it himself so please give me advise for him.

BabbyAnn

Re: Help with Apple Tree Please
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 18:11 »
I usually prune my apple trees in late winter when they are dormant.  Trees will respond to pruning and produce new growth that grows quickly which sounds like what has happened here, but it shouldn't affect the fruit size if it is an established tree.  Smaller apples happen if the summer weather has been cool, or not many fruitlets dropped off during the "June" drop and you haven't thinned out the excess (a single apple will grow much bigger than a cluster together)

I'm not sure about trimming it back to when it was pruned to last year but no harm thinning out some of the branches and cutting the new growth to about a third of the size they are now.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 18:13 »
best thing is to search for stephen hayes on youtube and watch some of his pruning vids.it will give you a better idea of the principles so you can make your own judgment.

gobs

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 19:46 »
I'd agree with Ann there, you do not want to prune it now, even if he wants to do it himself, next year will be just as good. :D No damage will come to the tree. If you prune it out of season it can.

As Ann also said, the young growth abundance is a result of heavy pruning, not that necessarily damages fruiting, depending on variety.  Even then for a season or two only and I do not think, to much improvement in fruiting can be achieved by cutting them out. Especially in the short run.

So I'd think, you want to calm him down, that tree will be fine. :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

BobE

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 00:46 »
He only has a small garden and is concerned it getting to big again and he has just been diagnosed with cancer and is having an op next week so is also concerned if he doesn't do it know he will be too unwell to do it later.  Ive said I can do it when time is right but he wants to do it himself so please give me advise for him.

Tell him that it will be ok, leave it this year.  Apple trees are very tough, if he leaves it this year he will get a good crop next year.  And next year we can choose the best thing to do.  There are two types of apple and so two types of pruning but a year won't change anything.  Tell him to wait, and watch next summer.  We can talk then about what has changed.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 02:22 »
I usually summer prune my trees because I don't want them to get any bigger. I just prune back the new growth to about two or three new leaves.  It has been okay so far (three years), but whether it is right or wrong I don't know. Blackmoor nurseries website has some good videos on pruning fruit trees.
Anne

diospyros

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 07:13 »
Correct - winter pruning for growth, summer pruning for fruit, because the tree will not respond so vigorously if pruned in the summer.  You certainly don't want to remove all these new growths because they are going to form good strong fruiting wood in a year or two.  But you do want to take them back a bit this winter.  Just remember that the one on each branch that you leave the longest will suppress the growth of the others by producing auxins.  If you cut them all back, there will be no leader to produce auxins and the tree will go mad again and this will weaken it.

xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Apple tree and apple help...

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 09:45
by SG6
xx
Apple tree

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 21:12
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 38 queries.