Blueberry feed.

• 6 Replies

Lardman

Blueberry feed.
« on: May 23, 2011, 20:33 »
Would my blueberry bushes like a nice feed of comfrey tea or should I stick with the commercial liquid feed ?

JohnB47

Re: Blueberry feed.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 20:59 »
Comfrey tea probably wouldn't actually do them harm but may not do any good either. Blueberries need feed suitable for acid loving plants (azaelas, rhododendrons and the like). Oh and rainwater, rather than tap water.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 22:52 »
Further to this how often should you feed blueberries - I have some ericaceous feed, they are originally 2 and 4 litre pot plants in new ericaceous compost, my blueberry book from Trehane nursery says you can feed them but nothing more specific than that
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

Ralphy

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 15:15 »
the bbc gardening site says a high potash feed like tomato food will do, seems tomato food suits most things, i'm thinking of planting a few blueberrys in the plot come autumn, i'm just wondering wether adding a splash of vinegar to the watering can would nutralise any lime present and bring the ph down?
is pottering about a vocation?

stompy

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 15:21 »
i'm just wondering wether adding a splash of vinegar to the watering can would nutralise any lime present and bring the ph down?

Plaenty of manure will do that.

dig out a decent size hole and put the plant in an fill around it with ericaceous compost and feed with a mix of comfrey tea and there is also another feed specificaly for acid loving plants but i can't remember it's name.

Just remembered it's name (ammonium sulfate)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 15:43 by stompy »

Ralphy

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 15:38 »
cheers Stompy, compost it is! I just googled the vinegar thing, and found a scary but informative thread about the use of battery acid, while the chemistry makes sense, my gut reaction is hell no!  http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0715270918406.html

JohnB47

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 20:33 »
One of my local garden centres issued a leaflet about blueberries and the Feeding section says:

"Use a balanced ericaceous fertiliser to top dress your plants each spring. Feed again at the end of June as your plants will have a second growth period in late summer. Fertilisers used for tomatoes and other vegetables are not usually suitable for blueberries as they contain the wrong balance of nutrients"

Seems to contradict the BBC recommendations mentioned earlier but what's new? The more I read the more confused I get. :wacko:

xx
Blueberry

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 10:22
by gobs
question
BLUEBERRY

Started by Miss Molly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 00:42
by Yorkie
xx
Blueberry Bed

Started by Rocinante on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 03, 2019, 21:47
by Rocinante
xx
Blueberry help

Started by parttimer on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 13:03
by Vit

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 40 queries.