Eeek my hen just ate an elastic band.....what do I do???

• 7 Replies

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
I saw her nibbling at something and walked over to see with horror it was a rubber band not a red one like the posties have just a plain old brown one about 2-3ml thick, I rushed over to get it from her but too late..... it was gone

Should I do anything?? will nature take its course or what should I look out for if it does make her ill, so many questions sorry I did search on here first and could not find anything.

Beats me how the darned band got in the garden anyhow.

Thanks in advance all

Broody :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
if wishes were changes.......

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Eeek my hen just ate an elastic band.....what do I do???
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 16:41 »
One of my Amberlinks once ate the string from a bag of food.  I saw it in her mouth and thought it was a tiny bit, pulled it gently and it just kept coming!  It had made her face swell up, but she was fine.

I would imagine the elastic band would work its way through unless it gets stuck in her crop, which would probably need a vet to open it up.

Sorry not been very helpful here.

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 16:51 »
Thanks Annie, I have just phone the vet and waiting for the farm vet to call me back......will keep my fingers crossed and post back what the outcome is  :unsure: :unsure:

jinty1911

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 18:48 »
Mine were fighting over a long strip of silicone.  It was swallowed before I could get near them.  No harm done so I wouldn't worry.  :)

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 12:18 »
Thanks Jinty  :)

The vet called back and seemed to think the only worry I would have would be bouncing eggs in the morning  :blink: and just to keep an eye on her.

So fingers crossed no impacted crop so far so lets hope nature is on her side, greedy bluebelle chook
 :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 12:45 »
I had a picture of her laying her next egg, and it coming back in the elastic band and hitting her up the rump!!   :lol:

But I didn't say anything because I know you wre worried.  Fingers crossed she will be fine!  Let us know how she gets on!  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 14:34 »
but you just said it anyway  ::) :lol:
my vision is of an egg bouncing around like those small hard rubber balls you used to be able to get  ::)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Epona_4

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 14:38 »
I had a picture of her laying her next egg, and it coming back in the elastic band and hitting her up the rump!!   :lol:

*chokes hahahahaha! Grannie i had visions of said elastic band being wrapped around her egg and snapping her a corker up the bum!
I'm sorry broody i do hope all is well and nature takes its course and said band is 'processed' in the normal way with nothing untoward occuring for your girly    :)

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 39 queries.