Monkey Puzzle recipes?

• 10 Replies

khelashi

Monkey Puzzle recipes?
« on: August 22, 2012, 18:34 »
Do any of you know any good recipes? I just came home from a beautiful walk with my family & collected a small bag full of monkey puzzles. I heard they are like pine nuts, very nutritious too, but taste a bit unripe & green to me. Do you roast them? Cook them? Grind them into a paste? Any ideas?
Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. :-)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Monkey Puzzle recipes?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 19:23 »
I didn't know they were edible, but do now!  :D If they are like pine nuts, why not make a pesto? :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Debz

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:56 »
Hugh Fernley-Whitingstall collected some of these on one of his programmes.  I think it was his vegetarian one.  Might be worth googling him.  I can't remember what he did with them but he definately used them.

mattwragg94

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 10:46 »
Hugh Fernley-Whitingstall collected some of these on one of his programmes.  I think it was his vegetarian one.  Might be worth googling him.  I can't remember what he did with them but he definately used them.

i can remember seeing that too - i think it was this recipe, but im not sure!

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/summer-couscous-with-monkey-puzzle-nuts-recipe

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 17:37 »
You learn something new every day (especially on this website)!!  I'd no idea they were edible  :D

khelashi

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 20:09 »
Hmmm, that sounds tasty - I love River Cottage anyway! ;-)
Ok, I boiled the nuts (still on the stove as we speak...or type;-)) and tasted them, they are delicious!! Not unlike chestnuts, very similar texture, but milder flavour.
I found a few recipes also, they are hard to find, but there are some traditional chilean ones (monkey puzzle is Chiles national tree) and also I found a lot of Bunya nut recipes, which are very similar to monkey puzzle. Bunya trees grow in Australia, often in parks & gardens, and, like here, the nuts are not collected very much. So I came across this guy that promotes bunya nut recipes - I'm definitely gonna try!
jG3pDeqwVecLyPjMPYPChoCheck out the pasta, yumm!! Although I'd rather use the food processor than crushing them one by one... ;-)
Monkeypuzzlebowl.jpg

khelashi

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 21:27 »
Ok, so I had monkey puzzle for dinner!
A very simple dish to begin with, just (painstakingly pealed!) monkey puzzle nuts fried in coconut oil with generous amounts of red chili and garlic. Seasoned with salt.
Very tasty I have to say! Will try out more dishes another time, but I do recommend having some helpers to peel them! ;-)
monkeypuzzlechili.jpg

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 11:13 »
Ok, so I had monkey puzzle for dinner!
A very simple dish to begin with, just (painstakingly pealed!) monkey puzzle nuts fried in coconut oil with generous amounts of red chili and garlic. Seasoned with salt.
Very tasty I have to say! Will try out more dishes another time, but I do recommend having some helpers to peel them! ;-)

These sound great!  :)

khelashi

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 12:57 »
I made up a pate with monkey puzzle, coconut oil, garlic, chili, oregano & seasoning, it's absolutely gorgeous! The nicest pate I have ever tasted maybe? ;-)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 15:43 »
I made up a pate with monkey puzzle, coconut oil, garlic, chili, oregano & seasoning, it's absolutely gorgeous! The nicest pate I have ever tasted maybe? ;-)

Ah right - I thought maybe you'd done them like spiced roasted peanuts or cashews.  The pate sounds lovely - I must tell my veggie daughter!!   :D

smiley
recipes

Started by phil-c on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 18:17
by phil-c
xx
Recipes

Started by Val H on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 25, 2008, 21:31
by Beetroot queen
xx
can not see recipes

Started by kevinp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 08:54
by joyfull
xx
beetroot recipes

Started by rachelr on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post January 16, 2012, 19:40
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 39 queries.