how to sharpen hoe

• 6 Replies

pran vallaba

how to sharpen hoe
« on: May 25, 2008, 12:35 »
hi i am new to this and wondered what is best way to sharpen a hoe i have a metal file and a round shapening stone ....what is best technique .....thanks in advance
WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND
(YOU REEP WHAT YOU SOW)

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
how to sharpen hoe
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 13:51 »
Thats what I use get the worst done with a file then finish with a stone.. You can just touch the blade up during use with a stone
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

SkipRat

how to sharpen hoe
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 19:35 »
While been no expert hoe sharpener, I like to sharpen mine first with a file, then follow up with a sharpening stone. I try to get approx 30 degree sharpening edge as this is suppose to be optimum cutting angle, then every 5 mins or so, I give the hoe another tickle with the stone.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

tweeky

how to sharpen hoe
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 23:28 »
I sharpen my tools with an angle grinder, but unless you are used to them, they can remove the entire blade before you realize it.

The next best thing is if you have an electric drill, purchase a rubber backing pad and some sanding discs.

If you have a flat sander, that will work.

Failing all that, a medium cut file. Very cheap.

A stone is usually flat for sharpening chisels and plane blades etc A rounded stone works best on curved things such as a scythe etc.

If you prefer the file. Then make sure it isn't too narrow...an inch or wider would be ideal.

File an edge on the bottom of the blade first and finish the sharpening on the top of the blade.

That way, any burr's will be ending downwards and less easier to cut yourself, but will wear off probably after one use. Don't worry too much about the angle it isn't rocket science. But a reasonable shallow angle filing will be fine.

Funnily enough, using it keeps it sharp. It's over wintering if you don't grease your tools that will cause them to become blunt...and always clean it after use with soap liquid and wipe it dry.

Hope that helps.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
how to sharpen hoe
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:30 »
my hoe has never been sharpened.. It it prob about 20000 years old as I found it in the garage when we bought the  house we are in. It is worth trying to sharpen it or just buy a new one?

Bigblanch

how to sharpen hoe
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:22 »
Give it a go, at best you'll resurect a wonderful tool, at worst you'll have to buy a new one. Nuff said :)

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
how to sharpen hoe
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 08:08 »
Sadly, I have never been able to use these sharpeners but I was told to try emery paper with a little oil, that helped.
If it rots compost it
If it burns burn it
If it is chocolate eat it

xx
How to sharpen shears

Started by Stevie P on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 22:48
by Stevie P
xx
how to sharpen a grass sickle

Started by crymlyn on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 21:55
by muntjac
xx
Will it benefit to sharpen tines on new rotovator

Started by hindy on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 22:33
by hindy
xx
How do members sharpen their Shredder blades?

Started by mike2006 on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post February 26, 2007, 06:05
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 38 queries.