Fruit trees

• 4 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Fruit trees
« on: February 10, 2016, 13:35 »
I know to get a good crop they need plenty of sun but I was wondering about something else.

My rear garden seems to retain moisture and can be quite wet/damp even in the summer. We get lots of frogs/toads and now we have Mr Mole too so I was wondering if I planted fruit trees would they suck up the wet and dry it out a bit? I have a narrow (ish) strip of woodland at the rear of my garden and a large fir tree in the bottom corner but I just thought maybe something closer to the house would benefit?

I know it will reduce a crop but as it's just me that's not going to be much of a problem :-)

Many thanks.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
Re: Fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 13:40 »
If you go with a fruit tree with the poor growing conditions look for a stronger rootstock. Also try and get varieties that are more disease resistant.

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 15:05 »
Ok but will fruit trees dry it out a bit?

Many thanks.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 16:19 »
Trees will take up more water than shrubs or plants, but if there is a lot of water you are better off with water loving bruts like willow and bamboo. However, after all the water we have had lately I have a very large very mature willow and that is currently sat in a pond  :( It would be good to have a look at why it isn't draining i.e type of soil, clay pan etc. My front garden used to be bad and it was because the soil was compacted and then there was loads of moss that just added to the issue.

Sorry that is probably not very helpful.

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 12:26 »
It's hard to explain it it isn't so bad I have puddles and you could probably walk barefoot on it in the summer but you may get damp feet unlike my top lawn where it is as you would expect. I do have moss in areas at the top so it's very possible that's hiding under the lawn/creeping buttercup. I think it's purely down to the fact it gets less sun? I will be investigating further in the summer as I want to utilise it more so will have to find a solution :-)

xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 39 queries.