Red Onion Sets

• 3 Replies

Vicky Mac

Red Onion Sets
« on: May 26, 2009, 11:49 »
Hello all.

This is my first year at veg growing and I just wondered if it was normal for my red onion sets to have started to set seed yet?  I planted them on 22nd March 2009.  It seems a little early to me but not sure.  Any ideas as to what I should do with them as I am totally green?  Thanks in advance

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Red Onion Sets
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 11:52 »
Welcome to the site, Vicki Mac  :D

I've moved your post over to the Grow Your Own section as it's about growing your own veg.  Feel free to pop back into the welcome section to introduce yourself.

Don't know anything about onions, sorry, but my best bet would be to remove the flowers pronto.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 11:54 »
They have "bolted", you don't want onions to do this at all, let alone early.

I'm afraid red onions are very prone to this, consistent moisture is the answer, but this is not always possible.

Take the flower head off, you will still get an onion at the end of the day, but it will not store well as the flower stalk in the bulb will quickly go rotten. Use those up first.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

SG6

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 19:27 »
Seems that many people have a problem with red onions, I tried them a few years back and most were a loss. Some did get to a small size but I decided not to try reds again.

Not sure if it is too late for white onions, I did see some in Wilkinsons last weekend but they may have been selling them off. May be worth a try if you can get some cheap and have the space going spare.

xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
xx
onion sets in

Started by wildseed on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 15:11
by wildseed
xx
Onion sets

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post January 07, 2012, 18:27
by gobs
xx
onion sets

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 00:16
by Robin Redbreast

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 38 queries.