what vegetables can pigs eat

• 9 Replies

animal mad

• Experienced Member
what vegetables can pigs eat
« on: September 24, 2010, 18:11 »
My first pigs arrive tomorrow and i was wondering if there are any thing i should avoid giving them. for example carrot tops? i will be feeding them on pig nuts bit i have an allotment and would love to give them all the waste stuff from there as well, any thoughts.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: what vegetables can pigs eat
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 09:22 »
Come on, spill the beans..

What breed have you got? Where are you keeping them? How many? Post a photo!!  :D

Sounds exciting - sorry I don't know what you can / can't feed them except that pig swill is now illegal (at a time when reports say 1/3rd of our food is wasted)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 16:40 »
I have  5 weaners middle white cross gos, about 4 months, they are being raised for meat, i also have a tamworth cross gilt who is maybe in pig and due in two weeks, but i am not sure she just looks fat to me, so i will keep you posted. It is the first time today that they have been on grass and they are having a really good time, such time wasters .   

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 07:38 »
My friend has kunekune pigs and sometimes a tamworth boar and they will eat anything.  have to be pretty hungrey to eat onions & leeks but otherwise all is fair game.  We save scraps but always avoid bones (they'll eat them but not sure about how sharp splinters from roasts go in what is essentially a digestive system very close to humans.)

The kunekunes do well on grass - I think they are the only pig that can get good nutrition from grass.  Very cute with pushed in pug-like snouts, compact bodies and usually have wattles.

=Pip

rach312

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 19:02 »
They love any type of veg really but mine love  fruit apples and pears well anythin sweet really

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 11:08 »
I've been told - no meat product (inc bones) and nothing from the onion family (ie leeks and onions). Otherwise everything else! Dairy is fine too.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 17:54 »
You're wise to avoid bones for any animal, even dogs. A friend who was a vet's assistant said that a lot of cases came in where the animals had eaten bones which splintered then perforated various internal linings and did serious damage....and very big vet bills.

My parents raised pigs for a while and grew some extra rows of veg just for the pigs. They call them that for a reason  :D

Tiggs

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 17:25 »
I thought i heard that you can't feed them uncooked potato as well. Oh and pleased to hear about your new pigs. We had two Berkshire gilts arrive on Saturday. Also don't be fooled by your Tamworth gilt. We have a GOS sow which we thought was pregnant and due in December. So we brought her in mid-December, still she didnt farrow. But we all thought she looked  big so we kept her in for January and most of February as well. It wasn't until the vet came last week to check our cows when he said that she was not pregnant. So the sow had had a warm, clean bed, extra food and more care and attention for 3 months and had completely fooled us! Only thing i would say is keep your gilt in until you are absolutley sure she is not, otherwise she might give you a suprise!!!

RichardA

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 17:28 »
presumably NOT rhubarb leaves
R

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 21:53 »
It's actually illegal to feed pigs any kitchen waste if they are being raised for meat, because of cross contamination from meat products.
they aren't allowed citrus fruit, raw spud is fine
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

xx
Is there a difference between pigs for bacon and pigs for pork?

Started by Judd on Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

3 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 20:24
by Ice
xx
Looking to getting pigs

Started by Knight Family on Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 16:16
by Knight Family
xx
Pigs!

Started by primrose1 on Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

1 Replies
Last post November 17, 2012, 21:59
by joyfull
xx
Pigs...

Started by Craigx on Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

8 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 10:01
by GTFC197

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 36 queries.