When to plant shallots?

• 18 Replies

Totty

Re: When to plant shallots?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 19:07 »
In the case of shallots such as matador, they only produce one bulb. If I plant 50 aristocrats, I'll get 150+ shallots to choose from for the bench! plus the matador shape is still not perfect for the bench! regardless of what the catalogues say.

Totty

richie3846

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 20:42 »
I planted red sun on 6th April 2013, after the sets spent two weeks in the fridge to make sure they knew it was still winter. By 15th July I harvested the lot, good sized bulbs, 100% germination rate. I know it was a cold spring, so this year if conditions are less extreme I plan to plant the sets on 1st April, not before.

When I recieve my pre-ordered sets in February they will live in the fridge until required - this is the same as them chilling in the ground, but without all the damp and wind. The fridge, whilst cold, is not the hostile environment of the British winter.

I don't think the wife was too happy with the salad crisper half full of shallot nets mind you.... ???

blackberryjam

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 21:36 »
I found some shallots in my greenhouse that I should have planted in the autumn, is it to late to plant them or will they keep till next year.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 22:21 »
You've got nothing to lose by planting them, and everything to lose by not planting them, so get them in but don't expect wonders!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
when to plant shallots?

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 18:24
by DavidT
xx
Plant shallots now?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 12, 2019, 12:56
by Nobbie
xx
Plant shallots now?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 17:44
by DHM
xx
OK to plant shallots now?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 21, 2016, 09:40
by New shoot

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 38 queries.