Weed burners

• 5 Replies

blackberryjam

Weed burners
« on: November 20, 2018, 21:54 »
I was thinking of buying a weed burner the blow torch type jto use on my allotment,  does anyone use one on ther plot.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Weed burners
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 22:46 »
I use mine in my garden - good for a quick tidy up but the deep-rooted perennial weeds grow back again. You'd have to repeatedly  burn them off to kill them, eventually....

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 23:12 »
I have a cheap one from Wilkos. Once the novelty had worn off I stopped using it all that often, though I do enjoy torturing the ground elder at the far end of my plot every now and then.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 23:30 »
I’ve got a cheap one left over from our old house that had a cobbled stone garden path, which is what I used to use it for to save hours on my hands & knees. I just use it to start a bonfire in my weed tin now. I don’t  like the thought of all the fungi & creatures I would destroy  if I used it for the weeds
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 16:53 »
They're great for starting bonfires!

A good clonk with one of these is a quick way to tidy up an area instead of weeding on the knees too...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 17:19 »
I bought a cheap one from Lidl to see if it was an easy way of getting rid of the weeds growing in the numerous gaps between the paving slabs in my garden.

It took quite a long time to get each weed to 'sizzle', and they mostly re-grew anyway, also the remainder of the gas leaked out of the canister when it was put away and would have cost nearly as much as the whole gadget to replace.

It now hangs forlornly in my 'glory hole' as a reminder not to buy cheap weed burners (or even any weed burner I suspect - weed killers make a much better job of the task mentioned above, albeit a lot less fun!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Weed Burners

Started by davejg on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post August 28, 2010, 22:37
by flitwickone
xx
Sulphur burners/candles??

Started by infowarrior on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post November 20, 2011, 17:49
by infowarrior
xx
Best weed matting?

Started by Babycat on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post December 13, 2013, 20:40
by Babycat
xx
weed fabric

Started by Sparkyrog on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 11:02
by ThatsNice

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 37 queries.