mites in my hair!!!!

• 36 Replies

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
mites in my hair!!!!
« on: September 08, 2017, 11:27 »
I don't think this is redmite but...   crawling through my hair and in my clothes driving me maaaaddd!!!
Spotlessly clean coop, hens sprayed with Frontline, all carpets professionally cleaned, new door mat (the one with all the hen poo) lino on the floor, shelves dusted(wiped with Mr Muscle), soft furnishings sprayed with insect spray, clothes boil washed.......   what more can I do????

Might have to move out.

Do people just keep buying new coir doormats or is ther a nifty way lf cleaning them?

xxxx

One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

snow white

Re: mites in my hair!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 22:39 »
Once you have done all this you should not have the problem again as long as you keep on top of de-miting the chooks and coop.  they are little mites that are on the chickens and in their house.  Washing your hair normally kills them.  Makes me itch to think about it.  I sprayed the coop with a pigeon house mite killer then dusted with diatamatious earth.  Then I used Red Stop in their water to kill any tenacious ones.  Haven't had a problem since. 

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 08:04 »
Thank you!.  This problem has popped up before but easily solved but this year its gone on for weeks and weeks.  I cleaned the coop out and found it dirty in the nooks and crannys - so my fault.

Ordered Amazon smoke bombs - will bomb (in the house) till they've gone.

xxx

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 08:08 »
If they are in your hair, how about trying neem oil. Most big supermarkets carry it. 

I gave up on the coir door mat at the back door and now have one that looks like artificial grass.  It is stiff enough to clean shoes, but can be hosed down if it gets really dirty.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 19:42 »
That's good idea!!!

They are in my hair, socks, knickers and all other locations!!!  I have to endure it until I can have a bath and get into clean pyjamas and to bed.  If I come downstairs again I get contaminated - it's that bad :ohmy:
It's like living in a laundry as I wash clothes every day.  I just don't know where they are and how to get rid of them.

Out all day today so no prob till I get home then - bingo - I can feel them within 20 mins.

OMG!!! :(

grinling

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 19:51 »
Please use products suitable for hens rather than small pet products. fipronil is banned for poultry as it contaminates the eggs.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 22:30 »
My vet is really happy with Frontline for my hens...
No eggs now - so alright I hope.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 22:31 by nerdle »

Featherstone

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 06:19 »
There are lots of types of mites. I had issues in my house when I moved in and the chickens weren't to blame. Opening windows when possible and reducing the humidity in the house. I also set bug bombs of once a year. When I do the chickens clothes get washed straight away and I hit the shower. I still find mites in the house but odd ones are bearable  :)

Oh and if you have wooden coops creocote them, you can watch the mites crawl out of the crevices  :ohmy:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:21 by Featherstone »

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 17:36 »
Well I've gone as far as I can re cleaning so - bombs arrive tomorrow - then it's every night!

I think washing clothes increases humidity so I'm undoing my own work!

grinling

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 19:39 »
The hens in Holland have now been culled. Your vet should not be prescribing frontline when louse powder is the rec product. Red mite do not live on birds and diacotomous earth works on them. I used Hillfooter's receipe and have had no problems since

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 20:34 »
It is not necessarily red mite though as these horrible little beasties aren't just creeping out at night.  They are also in Nerdle's house, so she can't really cover the place with louse powder or DE. 

Hillfooter was not adverse to using very occasional insecticide treatments on birds if needs must.  I think mites in your hair and your knickers constitutes a needs must situation  :ohmy: 

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 14:53 »
Well a few days on... and two heavy duty smoke bombs later and I've gone hyper sensitive to anything that crawls...

Yesterday I tried to do some work outside and had to carry tools in and out between rain squalls and then that unpleasant wind - on top of this problem led to a meltdown moment.  Sobbing on the phone to a local pest controller who sobered me up big time with his suggestion...

£70 to come out and identify problem.  £1800 (yes that's what he said) to heat the house up to 78 degrees for 2/3 hours that kills everything dead for sure.

Today I'm not suffering too much  - could be the darkest hour was before dawn (I hope) but could be the bombs took a day or two to work. 

There is still more I could do - cover sofa with plastic sheets, vacuum everything a lot every day, no hens in house (unheard of)...

Lets see, fingers and chicken legs crossed. xxxx

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 15:29 »
Today I'm not suffering too much  - could be the darkest hour was before dawn (I hope) but could be the bombs took a day or two to work. 

I hope you are turning a corner Nerdle.  Something like this can really get you down and its horrible feeling you are under siege in your own home  :(

Fingers crossed here as well x

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 15:55 »
For me it would definitely be no chickens in the house, that has no appeal to me whatsoever after seeing the mess they made in my garden when we kept them. Plus I've still got my mother's two cats that I now think I'm allergic too
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 19:23 »
Thank you guys (and I MUST catch up with Foghorn)!!!  There is always an upside - just made a friend laugh with tears talking about being 'smote' and having the biblical pestilence!!!

Just bought one of these sexy items (see photo)....

A-4600_breathable_protective_clothing.jpg

xx
Red mites in hair! Help eeewwwwww

Started by Chirpychick on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 09:15
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
chicken Hair?

Started by slowef on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 20:33
by Aunt Sally
xx
Mites

Started by TonyW on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 19:08
by joyfull

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 36 queries.