Vaccination

• 5 Replies

Prod

Vaccination
« on: June 23, 2013, 08:57 »
Vaccination.... yes or no???   When I look for poultry to buy some sellers (who I think just breed small amounts i.e.  not a major business)  offer them as vaccinated.  Can you buy vaccinations from the vet to do it yourself as I cant think it viable to take each bird to the vet ..... or am I talking out of my vent as usual?????? :wub: :wub: :wub:

oborne27

Re: Vaccination
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 18:24 »
personally I buy birds that have been vaccinated. But I don't see any problems in taking them to the  vet to have them done - but I guess that will be an expensive thing to do.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 18:36 »
I believe that the chicks have to be vaccinated at day old or they will have had the chance to be exposed to disease so inoculation later would not work.

I think joyfull and others have said that you can get the vaccine but that it is in such large quantities it works out very expensive.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 18:40 »
As ANHBUC says, generally only available in large amounts so not really practical for the home breeder. I never bother and have never had any problems but just have ducks and geese which are pretty sturdy.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 08:49 »
Vaccinations are not 100%. They were developed with commercial ie factory farming in mind. As most back-garden keepers offer a superior standard of both accommodation and care vaccinations are not essential. However, it's a personal thing :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 09:10 »
The last 2 posts are correct.

When we were rearing on a larger scale, I decided to get some vaccines, but owing to the fact that I didn't know how to inject and the equipment was expensive, I just bought what could be dissolved in the water.  I made a note to give to customers telling them the name of the vaccine, the batch numbers and everything and the date I administered them.

Hardly anyone was interested, they were just pleased with the chickens they bought. 

However, each chick was already vaccinated for mareks as we bought them at day old, and the vaccines I bought only covered another 4 of the worst diseases.  But a full vaccination programme takes the first 18 weeks of life and costs a lot of money!

There are also a lot of small scale breeders and rearers who say their birds are vaccinated when they are not, and the birds still get ill and die.  So I didn't do it any more, and 2 years after I stopped selling, people still call round or phone up asking for more POL's, so I must have done something right eh?  ;)

I think the most important thing is to keep your birds nice and clean, enough good quality feed, water and bedding, and read up as much as you can about caring for them.  Good housekeeping is paramount!

xx
vaccination

Started by Pudding cloth on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 20, 2011, 09:58
by joyfull
xx
Vaccination

Started by calli on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 18, 2007, 17:33
by Aunt Sally
xx
vaccination advice??

Started by Chickengeorgey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 13:13
by Chickengeorgey
xx
Is vaccination essential?

Started by Mr R Design on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2017, 09:42
by Sassy

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 38 queries.