Blackberries

• 6 Replies

LILLILEAF

Blackberries
« on: August 28, 2017, 08:12 »
Has any one else picked any blackberry's yet?looks like its a good year,plenty on our drive way,i have picked 2lbs so far :),there will be more ready in a few days.
Looking forward to making apple and blackberry pies,and some crumbles,first time i have my own apples,and a first for picking the blackberry's in many years.
Sunny evenings make it a real pleasure.Lillileaf

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Blackberries
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 08:22 »
They've been ready for weeks down here, in fact they look as if they are almost over. All my pickings are in the freezer for winter pies and puddings ;)

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 09:19 »
The brambles are nearly finished here too but i have the freezer well stocked .
Just had blackberry porridge !

The first gathering trip was phenomenal , blackberries the size of my thumb and i picked 4lb in half an hour just a hundred yards from my back door ! :)

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 11:41 »
Picked lots in early August.  The late Les have got western fruit fly grubs in them, as have the raspberries.  Going to set traps for these pesky creatures next year, first time they've affected the soft fruit.....

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 07:39 »
I think I have about 4 kilo so far. Still a fair bit about but looking close to the end of the season. I am basically collecting fruit to use in my blender. Need to borrow a telescopic fruit picker for apples and damsons. Everything being frozen. Great for that early morning brain freeze!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 09:42 »
Picked lots in early August.  The late Les have got western fruit fly grubs in them, as have the raspberries.  Going to set traps for these pesky creatures next year, first time they've affected the soft fruit.....

That's a shame. These can infest undamaged fruit too, not like their cousins who wait until the skins burst.

The blackberry crop here has been stupendous again this year: plenty of jam, jellies and frozen fruit for us as well as friends and family  :D

Do remember the old saying about the Devil spitting on any fruit still around on Michalmas (29th September), making them watery and bitter. I'm not sure if the Devil really is responsible but after the end of this month they are nowhere near as sweet  ???
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 11:29 »
Finished here about a month ago but still come across the odd bush. Hammered this year picked for smoothie's but will try a few pies. Also picked apples plums all foraged. Found 7 damson trees gave 2 large shopping bags to neighbor when I went back no low enough to pick. Will have to get one of those thingies to reach them next year.

xx
Blackberries and other hedgerow food.

Started by TheEnglishman on Frugal Living

53 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 16:28
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 40 queries.