Pizza base recipe

• 16 Replies

Mum2mj

Pizza base recipe
« on: July 22, 2017, 13:19 »
Try as I might, I can't find a recipe I am happy with.  I like thin crust pizza like the ones you get from pizza express but I can only find thick crust pizza or thin crust that are quite dense, I've tried with and without yeast.
Does anyone have a good thin crust recipe, or tips where I am going wrong?
Thanks!

chrissie B

Re: Pizza base recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 13:27 »
I just roll mine bit thinner than it says as i also like them thin .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

lettice

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 14:17 »
I do mine dough in the breadmaker adding all the ingredients, using the dough setting and just take the dough out without the knead and just allow it to rise as below, rest is the same.

The original recipe that I based it on was for a food processor and produces the same result;

2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon yeast
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup water

Add flour, salt and yeast into your bowl and mix by hand or food processor with plastic dough blade or dough hook, about five one second pulses.
Slowly add the oil, and the water while mixing and keep mixing slowly until the dough becomes a ball.
Lightly knead the ball on a floured surfaced reshaping into a ball and place in an oiled bowl.
Allow the dough to double in size.
With oiled hands remove the ball carefully and do not allow the ball to deflate too much and roll into a ball.
Cover with wrap for ten minutes.
With more oiled hands stretch the dough gently with your hands into a rectangle shape on some baking paper.
Using your palmed hands stretch and flatten the dough into the shape of your choice, round or rectangle.
Make sure you keep the edge thicker for your preferred crust size.
Lightly dab texture the surface of the dough with your fingers.
Oil the dough before adding the topping.
Slide the topped pizza off the baking paper and onto your baking sheet or pizza stone
Bake for 10-12 mins at 240c.

This produces a lovely thin crust pizza.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:10 by lettice »

Mum2mj

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 15:42 »
Thank you lettice I'll try that, can you tell me what the measurements are for cups please? Many thanks

lettice

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 16:09 »
1 cup of flour weighs 120g, so two will be 240g
I cup of water is 250ml
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 16:11 by lettice »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 16:22 »
I cup of water is 250ml

Aha! Another "cup measurer" amongst us!! I like recipes like that.

Never thought of making pizza dough in a food processor. I'll be giving that a go, so thank you Lettice
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

wighty

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 17:24 »
I cheat and use Tesco's pizza base mix.  :nowink:  It's lasts for ages in the cupboard and is always handy for a quick meal.  You can roll it out as thick or thin as you want.

lettice

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 05:52 »
I cheat and use Tesco's pizza base mix.  :nowink:  It's lasts for ages in the cupboard and is always handy for a quick meal.  You can roll it out as thick or thin as you want.

A cheat is ok I suppose. But us bread makers love making it by hand.
But with pizza dough you should be stretching not rolling and use a pizza stone if you can.
A pizza stone is worth a buy, it does evenly cook it and its an easy serve and cut then at the table using it. I bought a new one for just under a fiver in Home Bargains recently.

lettice

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 06:03 »
I cup of water is 250ml

Aha! Another "cup measurer" amongst us!! I like recipes like that.

Never thought of making pizza dough in a food processor. I'll be giving that a go, so thank you Lettice

Be honest most bread type recipes always say a cup, so I assume that everyone has the measurer for it. I have loads and they have always been the same size.

One thing I missed off above is in that first mix it says use about five one second pulses. It also mentions with the food processor method to use the plastic dough blade or dough hook.
I've amended the recipe it above.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:08 by lettice »

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 08:30 »
I use the following in the breadmaker on dough.

300g Strong Flour (00 works better but I rarely have it anymore)
170g Water
1tbl Olive Oil
1/2t yeast
1t salt

It does 2 thin 12" pizza bases. I spent a long time getting a base I was happy with.

Make sure you leave the dough long enough, I normally make mine in the morning for evening use and leave it covered in the fridge, overnight is better, if it rips rather than stretches it's not been left long enough.

I wasn't happy with the evenness of a rolled base, either the crust lacks enough weight to hold the pizza together or the entire base was too bready. I roll the ball flat then hand stretch after making a flying saucer shape. ( a few years ago I could even manage to spin it - I wouldn't even try that now).  I found working on a surface covered in cornmeal (or just rubbing it onto the base after stretching gave a nicer outer finish, don't use flour it dries nasty when cooked.

Don't over cheese the pizza either, too much wet will give you a soggy bottom.

Oven up as hot as possible , I have a cheap none stick pizza tray with holes in.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 12:07 »
I like a Tesco mini plain naan. I have two though  :tongue2:   Makes a really good light fluffy base.  I find bought pizza bases too hard

I use a Jamie recipe if I make my own, which I do with many mouths to feed. He recommends keeping the dough in the fridge, once the bases are made. I did that and they practically forced the fridge door open. They carried on growing even in the fridge  :D

Mum2mj

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 17:04 »
Lardman thank you!!  I used your recipe as I don't have a bread machine it seemed the simplest one to make.  Me and 3 kids have just polished off some seriously divine pizza.  The crust was light and airy just the way I like it  :D I'm soooo happy 😂

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 17:40 »
Me and 3 kids have just polished off some seriously divine pizza.  The crust was light and airy just the way I like it  :D I'm soooo happy 😂

.. so where's mine ?  :tongue2:  :nowink:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 18:39 »
Jamie Oliver's Jamie At Home programme covered pizza bases, and he used semolina flour to help make the base crispy - where Lardman has used cornmeal.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/pizza-dough-recipe-2012005
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 18:41 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 19:39 »
Coincidentally, Mrs Growster is considering going back to a recipe she used last year, which was for tomato tarts.

With any luck, they'll surface this weekend and the cheese is already grated, because I looked...

Lots of toms, a bit of salami, and all started off with a Vodka and tomato juice liquid comestible - can't say its real name, as the big asterisk on high will descend like a bolt of lightning and probably break the glass...

xx
Homemade Pizza

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 19:44
by mumofstig
xx
pizza bases

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

42 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 19:00
by chrissie B
xx
Building a better pizza.

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 22:05
by Lardman
xx
Pizza Stones

Started by Yabba on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

30 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 22:44
by Ice

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 40 queries.