hatching advice needed

• 5 Replies

themagicaltoad1

hatching advice needed
« on: March 24, 2010, 13:13 »
I have finally sourced a hutch to house my broody in so she can have some eggs to hatch but I have a few questions as I've never hatched any before.

Am I right in thinking when the eggs arrive by post I need to put them somewhere dark for 24 hrs before putting them under the hen?

Is day 21 counted from when the eggs were laid or when they go under the broody?

I now have 2 broody hens out of my 3 girls but only 1 broody house, would I be able to leave one of the hens and some eggs in with the non broody girl, or put both broody's in the broody house together? It seems a shame to give eggs to one while the other has nothing :(

Any advice would be a great help.

poppies

Re: hatching advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 13:33 »
Hi you need to leave the eggs to rest for 24 hours  never heard of it having to be dark but it wouldnt hurt, you count days  from when  you put them under the broody so if it was a monday you would count the tuesday as day one.

I tried putting eggs under one broody but every time she got up the other  one took them so they were getting rolled about and did'nt hatch but others may have had more luck.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 11:12 »
Thanks poppies. I was wondering if it would be ok to leave one of the broody's in the main coop with the hen that's not broody, or would she attack any chicks? That way I could give them both some eggs to sit on but I only have space to separate one of them.

poppies

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 14:27 »
It really depends on individual hens we had 2 cochins who had large clutches of chicks who lived quite happily together,  but then the pekins were awful and would peck at the chicks, I suppose you could try it and remove the hen at the first sign  of trouble.

goodegg

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 18:40 »
why not put the non broody in the broody cage and put the two brudies in the coop

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 11:07 »
That's actually not a bad idea, she's very interested in the broody hutch, and as she spends all day free ranging round the garden I wouldn't need to build a separate run, I can just keep the 2 broody's and their chicks together in the main coop and run.

Everyone's getting very eggcited about the prospect of some chicks, the eggs arrived today, silkie x legbar bantams.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:12 by themagicaltoad1 »

xx
Advice needed on hatching with a broody hen please...

Started by Chuckiemum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2010, 14:41
by Chuckiemum
xx
hatching concern-advice needed quickly

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 13:26
by Casey76
xx
Hatching duck eggs advice needed

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 06, 2012, 16:55
by joyfull
xx
URGENT HATCHING HELP NEEDED

Started by babe on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 21:51
by Jellyhead

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 38 queries.