advice -- selling free range poultry

• 4 Replies

mshah123

advice -- selling free range poultry
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:16 »
Hi Guys

I recently started to keep chickens in the garden (quite a big garden for a terraced house) and realised how much I enjoy it. It went from 2 to 26 in a matter of months which I am sure many of you have gone through. I have also raised a few table birds and realised that there is immense difference in taste in the free range and what we buy from supermarkets!

I am currently in education at the moment finishing my degree and my brother is also successful so in terms of finance we are good. I have also noticed the lack of Halal free range poultry available in the UK and if so then only in select areas (eg london, cambridge) and this is something I would like to further explore.

My idea is to raise chickens in batches of a 100 from day old chicks and obviously for them to roam around freely. question initially are, how much land will I need to do this and where could i search to buy this land as this will i am assuming be the biggest starting cost.

I look forward to your replies and suggestions and hope that you can guide me in this initial brainstorming stage.  
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:35 by arugula »

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: advice -- selling free range poultry
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 14:02 »
The information here will give you a start on what you need to know on the poultry welfare side:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Environmentandgreenerliving/Smallholders/DG_189309
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mshah123

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 15:34 »
Thank you very much :)

brendadouglas

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 14:10 »

Another question is how much time you'll have to take care of so many of them taking into account you are arranging your diploma. Note that the minimum rule of thumb is about 2 to 3 square feet per chicken inside the chicken coop.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 15:26 »

Another question is how much time you'll have to take care of so many of them taking into account you are arranging your diploma. Note that the minimum rule of thumb is about 2 to 3 square feet per chicken inside the chicken coop.

Hi Brenda, this thread is from 2012 so your reply might not be read by tge original poster  :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 36 queries.