Paint for brickwork at the base of the house

• 23 Replies

compostqueen

Paint for brickwork at the base of the house
« on: April 23, 2012, 18:35 »
Any ideas what sort of paint should be used for this job?  At the moment the base brickwork of the house is in a poor state with the previous paint job all peeling off.  The house is rendered but the lower brickwork (nearest the ground) is painted.  I want to repaint but all that has been suggested so far is that I use black bitumen.  I feel sure there must be something preferable to this awful-looking stuff and I fancy a colour to compliment the rendered walls.

I have Googled but can't find what I'm looking for

Any ideas please?  :)

Goldfinger

Re: Paint for brickwork at the base of the house
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 18:44 »

Is it worth using this 'Waterseal' stuff first? I think it'll soak into the brickwork first, and 'hopefully', it'll stop any paintwork from peeling from the inside out.

And, when it's hammering down, any splashes should just run off....

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 18:49 »
Masonry paint. It comes in colours too. :) Clean the old loose stuff off with a wire brush first.

Edit: spelling
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 18:50 by argyllie »
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 19:28 »
The house is rendered but the lower brickwork (nearest the ground) is painted. 

The bricks below the DPC here are painted with International (brand) doorstep paint in a very fetching shade of black  :) I think BeenandQueued do a full colour range.

Holds up the elements without problems but didn't take to kindly to my pressure washer.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 21:14 »
I thought there was some specific paint for the base of the wall but if its just masonry paint then there's much more choice  :)

I would like to let it dry beforesealing/repainting it but what chance with this weather!
  :)

I shall have a read about masonry paints and sealants etc as I want to make sure that I let the wall breathe as the inside wall is now showing signs of damp  :(

Thanks for your thoughts  :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 21:29 »
Sort that damp out 1st CQ,   ;)

what ever you put on make sure it's suitable, have you spoke to a builders merchant or a trade paint merchant ? or phone Dulux's helpline. Last thing you want to do is encourage damp to run up the paint over the DPM.
Would have thought it would need a solvent based paint rather than waterbased to deter the damp movement. 
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 21:31 »
I thought it was best to keep the brickwork below the dpc unpainted so the it can dry out  :unsure:

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 21:33 »
Ta for the information  :)

Everyone round here uses this awful black goo which I don't want to use as it looks hideous
I shall ring Dulux and see what they say  :)

It looks as if it was painted with something that had vinyl in it as it is coming off in quite big pieces.  I think removing all that mess will allow the bricks to breathe a bit more

We've repaired a leaky downpipe too which was not helping matters  :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 22:03 »
I thought it was best to keep the brickwork below the dpc unpainted so the it can dry out  :unsure:

I think that's the general thought, but surprising how many you see painted.
When I used to be on the paint desk at B&Q we quite often got asked, but there was nothing at the time we'd recommend.

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 11:01 »
If I get all the manky paint off and get back to brick then I can let it dry out. Now the leaking pipe has been sorted hopefully the situation will improve.  The bricks look untidy and are probably absorbing moisture as they're so old. I think they might need repointing before any paint or sealant gets applied

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions  :)

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 12:29 »
The bricks look untidy and are probably absorbing moisture as they're so old.

If they're below the DPC (do you have one ?) then they will be permanently 'wet' as they're in contact with the ground. As long as they're not spalled or damaged you should be ok.

I think they might need repointing before any paint or sealant gets applied

Have at it then  :D

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 22:53 »
I should think there is one but the brickwork looks dodgy with a touch of bad DIY about it. Not by me I might add.  I have to get all the old paint off to get a good look at the pointing.

I might not do the re-pointing, if it's necessary, as it's a skilled job. Well I think it is having tried it  :D

Knight Family

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 18:52 »
Dont do it!!!!

Bricks are ment to breath, if you put waterproof paint on them get what it stops them breathing e.g. releasing water behind them.

The only time I would do it if you have a raised wood floor downstairs with air bricks.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 23:37 »
First off is it a cavity wall or a solid wall,
If its a cavity wall does it have weep holes every yard or so( cross joints missing )
The age off the property will determine if it has a damp proof membrane .
As said in earlier post bricks have to breath or the joints in between courses painting with the wrong type of paint can cause more damage as could water seals trapping moisture in the wall,this is drawn inside the property as the only escape brought on by the temperature inside drawing it internally.
Hope this helps.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 10:45 »
The brickwork has previously been painted and its flaking off and the bricks underneath look to have efforescence on them and much pointing is missing.   The interior paintwork is now showing increasing signs of damp which is tracking all along the top of the skirting boards  :(
We did identify in the cupboard in the corner of the wall that the plaster extends right down to the floor so I am going to take that off for about 2". The plaster under the skirting doesn't extend down to the floor so hopefully that will get better once I remove the plaster which is wicking up water from the leaky wall

Thanks for the input  :)

xx
dampproofing a house

Started by grinling on Property, Buildings, Equipment and Alternative Energy

3 Replies
Last post October 07, 2012, 21:26
by ilan

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 36 queries.