Been to my plot today for......

• 32 Replies

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
« on: October 21, 2007, 19:36 »
8 hours!

I cut down every single bramble bush and boy, was that a tough battle! Got scratched and stung on my arms, hands, legs, and even back, those silly pests  :cry: ! And did you guys know that a bramble plant can grow from both ends? The very long branches rooted when they hit the ground  :shock:  :!:  So it's like a hoop with roots on both ends. I definitely I'm getting rid of all of them and planting a friendlier and tamer variety.

My purple sprouting broccoli and the calabrese (planted in one bed which I thought was big enough at the time) are growing so well. One of the calabrese plants is already producing a floret...

And I've made a whole waterbutt full of nettle, comfrey and other assorted weeds tea ready for next year. Probably too soon, but hey! The kitchen grimores sack came in handy!

Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 19:51 »
brambles can be propagated from root cuttings by pegging down a fresh years branch .peg it where a leaf joint is if you find a cracking one growing wild  or in the local lord somerleyton's garden but i didnt tell ya that .did i  :wink:

oh all berries can be done this way including rasps, logan ,tays
still alive /............

gobs

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 19:57 »
she wants to get rid of! :roll: lol!
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mkhenry

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 20:02 »
When cutting back brambles etc you can save a lot of scratches by wearing plastic guards on your arms and legs.

Cut the top and bottom off 4 empty coca cola type 1L bottles and wear 2 of  them over your arms.Split 2 of the bottles and wear them over your lower legs.
You can wrap a strip of tape around them to keep them on.
Yes you may look a little odd,but it saves you getting torn up :wink: :lol:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 20:10 »
Quote from: "gobs"

maybe so ,but explaning why the roots broke out on the stems helps both those who dont know why and also those who may want to get new plants  :wink:

mkhenry

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 20:19 »
Quote from: "muntjac"

maybe so ,but explaning why the roots broke out on the stems helps both those who dont know why and also those who may want to get new plants  :wink:

When responding to a posting sometimes the answer is not just a question of what to do next ,but also what else you can do.

Many people reading the question would also like to know more about the subject.

In effect you some times answer the unasked questions as well. :wink:

This is because although one person asked in the first place,many people  reading the answers want to know a great deal more than just yes or know.

So Munty was just filling in the blanks. :wink:  :lol:

Well done Munty.You answered and instucted in just a few words. 8)  :lol:

gobs

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 20:41 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
When cutting back brambles etc you can save a lot of scratches by wearing plastic guards on your arms and legs.

Cut the top and bottom off 4 empty coca cola type 1L bottles and wear 2 of  them over your arms.Split 2 of the bottles and wear them over your lower legs.

I always thought this,and I cannot keep it any more, you should be in the showbiz, I'm serious, you would cut a fortune. The silly walks is nothing as compared. :wink:
Are you actually practicing this plastic bottle exercise yourself, if I may ask? :roll:

mkhenry

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 20:53 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"

I always thought this,and I cannot keep it any more, you should be in the showbiz, I'm serious, you would cut a fortune. The silly walks is nothing as compared. :wink:
Are you actually practicing this plastic bottle exercise yourself, if I may ask? :roll:

Perhaps you could explain your way of avoiding cuts and scatches when cutting brambles.

It maybe that you could save someone getting cut up without looking like an escapee from a plastic bottle factory. :lol:  :lol:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 20:56 »
Wow Jac you are doing well, I haven't been near mine for about 3 weeks  or so :shock:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

gobs

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 21:00 »
No, I can't.  :D

I just mean you are being wasted very witty and entertaining. :)

i just go out there and get cut as it comes. No frills or moans. :roll:

mkhenry

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 21:13 »
No, I can't.  :D

I just mean you are being wasted very witty and entertaining. :)

i just go out there and get cut as it comes. No frills or moans. :roll:

You may like to know gobs that cuts caused by thorns and other ordinary plants in the garden regularly KILL people in this country. :?

Every year some poor soul contacts Tetanus(Lock Jaw)Etc from microrganisms and bacteria in the soil. :cry:

Going out of your way to get cut up under those circumstances is not a good idea. :wink:  :roll:  :roll:

gobs

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 21:26 »
That is very good sound advice, but I hope you do not want to make me overly worried about this. :? Are you?

I had me jab, by the way. :wink:

mkhenry

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 21:35 »
That is very good sound advice, but I hope you do not want to make me overly worried about this. :? Are you?

I had me jab, by the way. :wink:

Not at all :lol:
If you have had your jabs then you should be ok anyway.

One of my brothers was an ambulance man.He said he was always having to pick up people who had injured themselves doing things without using the proper safety gear.

They always said the same thing.

"but I have always done it like that 100s of times.""nothing ever happened before."

And he always gave the same answer,"well it has now,you were just lucky before" :wink:

Try not to take preventable chances. :wink:  :lol:

I cut my thumb just the other day ,quite deeply. I was lucky but accidents do happen. :cry:  :lol:

gobs

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 21:42 »
oh I know, i cut meself before and I'm not proud of it. :x

splodger

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 21:44 »
best to get rid of the nasty prickly plants - is to cut them up in small bits - starting from the top and working down - if you want to clear it - then dig out once you've got rid of the thorns -  with roses - when pruning, work out what you want to cut out (old/dead wood) and cut from the base - and follow the stem up - cutting evey foot or so - nice small pieces that you can pick up with the tip of your secs - and easy to manage bits - to get to bonfire.

i'm accident prone - but i don't get cut by thorns that often - little and often is the safe way to prune  :wink:

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 19:19
by vikingraider
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 35 queries.