The Chilli conundrum...

• 11 Replies

B_and_D

The Chilli conundrum...
« on: August 15, 2011, 13:42 »
Hope someone can help as I'm completely puzzled.  I have several chillis growing (fresno, hungarian hot wax, rokita, scotch bonnet, jalapeno) and have been harvesting for some time now.

The conundrum is that early in the season the chillis were hot as hades...even the hungarian hot wax.  However, over the last few weeks the chillis have lost all heat...they're so mild you can eat them straight, membrane, seeds and all, and there's just nothing, nada, nil heat.

Has anyone got any ideas? 

I don't think I've over-watered as I usually let them get to the point of wilting before giving them water.  I've been feeding once a week with weak tomorite since the first fruit set.

Appreciate any help you can give.

Lardman

Re: The Chilli conundrum...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 14:00 »
Other than the bonnet they're all mild peppers anyway.  ::)

Early fruit will have been stressed as growing conditions weren't ideal but recent pods will have formed quickly in the warmth, these are alway more juicy but less spicy.  Stress the plant more, if you're watering and feeding each week thats at least twice the plant is getting a good soaking.

Feed less, water less. I let the hotter ones of mine wilt properly before watering and feed once a fortnight but with double strength feed.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 14:47 »
I only water once a week and don't feed them,

Plants are growing under a 1m high cloche, straight in the ground.

Plenty of heat to the fruits - mainly cayenne types and some fat blocky orange ones that are a bit milder  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 15:09 »
B and D: Could it be that the ones you ate earlier in the season were so hot you've actually killed your taste buds?    :unsure:  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 21:32 »

Plenty of heat to the fruits - mainly cayenne types and some fat blocky orange ones that are a bit milder  :D :D

Sorry to ambush this thread a bit but do you know what the blocky orange chillis are?  I bought a plant from a local garden centre that was labelled a Caynne but it most definately isn't!  I haven't tried them yet so can't comment on the heat but I am curious as to what type of chilli plant it is.  Thank you  :)
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 15:09 »
Sorry to ambush this thread a bit but do you know what the blocky orange chillis are?  I bought a plant from a local garden centre that was labelled a Caynne but it most definately isn't!  I haven't tried them yet so can't comment on the heat but I am curious as to what type of chilli plant it is.  Thank you  :)

Are you sure it wan't labelled Cheyenne rather than Cayenne (see a picture at http://www.sowchillies.co.uk/chilli_seeds_cheyenne_f1.htm)

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 17:34 »

Are you sure it wan't labelled Cheyenne rather than Cayenne (see a picture at http://www.sowchillies.co.uk/chilli_seeds_cheyenne_f1.htm)

It was definately labelled Cayenne but nothing to say the labels weren't swapped by accident.  Thank you for the link though as the chiils do look a lot like that - although my plant is taller than 45cm (and gettin more triffid like by the day...)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 19:50 »

They could be hungarian hot wax.

Came as a mixed lot of plants all labelled cayenne (from Aldis - £1.49 for six plants) Some are black fruited, some really are cayenne style and then there are these orange ones as well

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 20:33 »
I've just been reading the Gardener's World website, having googled Hungarian Hot Wax and apparently they go red, rather than orange... ?

I am leaning towards my plant being a Cheyenne having done a bit of web based research - but the chilli world is a bit bewildering when you start looking at the different types!  Although I guess my local garden centre wouldn't been selling anything too exotic so Cheyenne is a safe bet?!  :blink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 22:16 »
I've just been reading the Gardener's World website, having googled Hungarian Hot Wax and apparently they go red, rather than orange... ?

I am leaning towards my plant being a Cheyenne having done a bit of web based research - but the chilli world is a bit bewildering when you start looking at the different types!  Although I guess my local garden centre wouldn't been selling anything too exotic so Cheyenne is a safe bet?!  :blink:

Yes, HHW do go red eventually but do spend a while orange ---  mine are orange so far and they are unlikely to be anything very unusual either, given the supplier  :lol: :lol:

I have checked out cheyenne and yes, these could be the ones I have, too --- thanks for this  :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 22:19 by sunshineband »

B_and_D

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 20:10 »
Thanks for the replies - guess I'll just have to be even meaner than I am being already - they only get watered once a week sparingly with a tomorite mix.  Will wait until proper wilted before next time.  Hope it's not my taste buds!! :ohmy:

BabyStar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 14:38 »
I have noticed we have this issue too, tried a jalapeno today and a hungarian hot wax, neither of which had much heat. Didn't know if I had picked them too soon and being the unorganised gardener that I am I can't remember when they were planted, other than it was right at the end of the planting period.
Will try letting them dry out a bit as we water them a lot and see if it improves. Does anyone know how long a chilli should usually be for picking? The hot wax was quite big but still not much taste. Sorry for ambushing as well, but thought it easier than starting a new thread  ;)

xx
Conundrum

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 17:25
by Babstreefern
xx
Coltsfoot conundrum

Started by zither on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 21:49
by Springlands
xx
Help! Composting conundrum

Started by rookie1 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 11:33
by Yorkshire Lass
xx
Compost Conundrum

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post January 31, 2007, 19:25
by muntjac

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 40 queries.