Tomato pruning help....

• 1 Replies

toto691

Tomato pruning help....
« on: August 14, 2006, 20:31 »
OK....   having read up on various tomato tip sites, i have got a 'slight bit' carried away when pruning!!

Thing is, i never know when to stop!!  I know that there should never be leaf growth BELOW the lowest fruit, and its recommeded to nip out the new stems that grow between the main stem and leaf, but some sites say that any leaf growth is taking away from the fruit, so with this in mind my tomato plants now look like sticks with loads of fruit on!!  

When should i stop???  Should the fruit always be visible to light, should leaves ever overlap? Should there be leaves at all??!!!

I just hope that the tomatoes actually carry on growing as theres over 100 fruit in the 3 plants here, and theyve all been topped off.

Oliver

Re: Tomato pruning help....
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 23:04 »
Quote from: "toto691"
Should there be leaves at all??!!!
All plants need some leaves to make food for themselves, so even though the fruit is developing, some leaves are still necessary! Yes, nip out the side shoots (this is called removing the sideshoots! :? and one generally stops the plant when there are 5 trusses of fruit (this is merely so that the fruit on the trusses has a chance to ripen effectively in time in our climate). But taking off all the leaves is not recommended!
You can pick tomatoes when they are just beginning to change colour and let them ripen in the kitchen.
Don't forget to water them and feed as well - regularly. If you water them after allowing them to get really dry they are likely to split.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

xx
Tomato pruning before planting out?

Started by Joe Hicks on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 13, 2020, 10:22
by Joe Hicks
xx
Pruning growing tip of young tomato plants

Started by wolveryeti on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 19, 2021, 11:50
by Nobbie
xx
pruning

Started by doncaster dave on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 13:35
by doncaster dave
xx
pruning

Started by geddall on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 21:16
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 35 queries.