Is this greenhouse salvageable?

• 11 Replies

Neon

Is this greenhouse salvageable?
« on: May 17, 2011, 09:41 »
We have just taken on an allotment and it comes with this greenhouse which is embedded in concrete. I can't remember it's brand name now.

It is a lovely greenhouse but having a small toddler we are not sure how 'safe' or salvageable it might be... Would appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:23 by Neon »

Paul Plots

Re: Is this greenhouse salvageable?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:56 »
We decided to have a greenhouse in the back garden when our children were young.  :ohmy:

So... we bought several trellis panels and a few posts to make a "No go" zone across the end of the garden. It worked well. You could consider doing the same, perhaps.

Alternatively it may be possible to find a supplier of cheapish acrylic / plastic / pvc sheeting. If someone is replacing a conservatory roof they might be pleased to let you have the sheets. Just a thought.

A free greenhouse is not to be given up too easily as they can be great for raising more tender crops as well as over-wintering.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 13:14 »
You could always cover it with polysheeting (a UV stabilised) attached with tape and a bit of wooden batten at the bottom, while you have lttle'uns :)
or the polycarb sheeting, as learner suggests, like this pack of 10 sheets

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 17:17 »
You could always cover it with polysheeting (a UV stabilised) attached with tape and a bit of wooden batten at the bottom, while you have lttle'uns :)
or the polycarb sheeting, as learner suggests, like this pack of 10 sheets

That's the stuff!!  ;)

We settled for a protective barrier (trellis) but why were the glass panes broken? If it is a result of people throwing stones the non-glass sheeting maybe a better bet.  ;)

noshed

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 17:19 »
You must be able to bodge that into some safe state - even with disaster sheeting held on with tape.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Neon

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 18:34 »
Thanks everyone - really appreciate the replies. Will look into polysheeting.

We're not sure how the panes got smashed. They are all missing from the sides and a few from the roof (roof?).

I'm worried thetop panes may fall in also as they seem to have been fixed with putty which is completely gone so not sure whether to break/remove the 'roof' panes.  :blink:

grinling

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 19:50 »
Please be aware that even after the initial removal of glass, it will be embedded in the soil and will continue to come to the surface  for a few years.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 00:53 »
Please be aware that even after the initial removal of glass, it will be embedded in the soil and will continue to come to the surface  for a few years.

A good tip that.  ;) Take care!

mobilekat

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 09:14 »

A good tip that.  ;) Take care!

So be VERY careful if you kneel down- have had to X-ray some ones knees once looking for glass slithers, not pleasant and apparently can get into the joint and cause hell!!

I would guess the frame is usable, we have always had trellis around greenhouses in our family due to kids and dogs, and it does work, and good place to then pop a few peas in!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Neon

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 10:16 »
Thanks for all the great advice - we're really nervous of the glass we keep finding tbh.

Flatcat

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 09:53 »
We got a greenhouse in a similar state (well it was after we'd dismantled it from the previous owners house and broke most of the glass!)

We considered plastic for it, but someone told us that it goes cloudy or something after a while, so we forked out and spent 200 quid on safety glass for it.

Although this was at home, and we have to look at it, plastic will probably be fine for down the allotment, and it would still work ok.

Damon

Caltrad

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 19:40 »
Hi All,

I have a related question..

I have just taken over an allotment and have also inherited a greenhouse but it slightly better condition.

About 10 of the panes are cracked, broken or have been bodged with tape etc..

I too have been looking at the twin wall plastic sheeting, I'll move all the good panes of glass to one side and glaze the more vulnerable side in plastic.

The glass is currently held in with wire clips..as the twin wall plastic is thicker the current clips won't be suitable. I have seen people try and it splits the plastic.

Are clips available to fit 4mm twin wall plastic into a greenhouse designed for glass?

David

(Link removed until we know you better - Aunty)

Edit: No problems about the removed link!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 21:39 by Caltrad »

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 36 queries.