Do pigeons eat tomatoes?

• 6 Replies

Martin

• Experienced Member
Do pigeons eat tomatoes?
« on: August 08, 2006, 22:42 »
This morning I noticed that the first 4 of my Costoluto Fiorentino tomatoes were ripening well. This evening I see they've all been eaten into, one of them there is only a quarter left! We have lots of pigeons around, would they eat them? I've also noticed a lot of wasps so theres a nest somewhere close...but I can't believe they would eat three quarters of a tomato 3 inches across...
If it is pigeons should I try to get some netting around the toms?
Suggestions welcome.
PS they are outside by the way.
Martin

Oliver

Re: Do pigeons eat tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 00:12 »
Quote from: "Martin"
If it is pigeons should I try to get some netting around the toms? Suggestions welcome.PS they are outside by the way.

Yeesh. Pigeons - what about pigeon and tomato pie?

Netting is really the only answer. If it happened overnight in damp conditions I would say slugs and snails, but in broad daylight and the current drought - pigeons.
O
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Do pigeons eat tomatoes?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 11:56 »
damn pigeons.. we have the posh kind wood pigeons, but still vermin. Must admit they crippled the barasicas but haven't touched the toms I have outside.. YET!!!

Oliver

GIANT snails on the tomatoes
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 23:34 »
She has three plants of Inca (an outdoor bush tomato very like Super Roma) and they are extremely prolific. Lovely big tomatoes, just beginning to ripen. While watering this evening she caught two huge snails in the act of devouring one of the ripe tomatoes! So, slug pellets have gone down round the tomatoes. Can't have that! Will keep an eye out for the wood pigeons who live in the elder on a neighbouring plot.

shaun

scarecrows
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 08:35 »
do scarecows actually work ,
the reason i ask this is because yesterday afternoon i went fishing and this place has a couple scarecrows dotted around the lake to scare the herons away,i was day dreaming as you do when i noticed a couple of wood pigeons sitting on the arms of one,
i suppose they might work when they are 1st put up but i'm sure the birds have a brain and work it out.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: scarecrows
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 09:42 »
Quote from: "shaun"
do scarecows actually work ,
the reason i ask this is because yesterday afternoon i went fishing and this place has a couple scarecrows dotted around the lake to scare the herons away,i was day dreaming as you do when i noticed a couple of wood pigeons sitting on the arms of one,
i suppose they might work when they are 1st put up but i'm sure the birds have a brain and work it out.

I don't think they work much because they don't move - I reckon you need to make the arms so light they wave in the wind to fool the birds.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

shaun

Do pigeons eat tomatoes?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 11:18 »
you could make one that turns around in the wind,like a clothes line.but watch out you dont get in the way because when you go to A+E with a black eye and tell them you was beat up by a scarecrow it might raise a few eye brows :D

xx
Is it pigeons?

Started by garddwr bach on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 20:01
by Trillium
xx
pigeons ?

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 20:49
by Yorkie
xx
Pigeons Don't Like Red!

Started by Hey Jude on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 23:54
by SUTTY1
xx
Pigeons

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 20:04
by azubah

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 34 queries.