Complete novice! Stupid questions alert!

• 10 Replies

spy

• http://www.landyworld.co.uk
« on: August 06, 2006, 21:05 »
Hi all,

Have wanted to grow my own for years now and finally have moved to a house with a bit of garden she who must be obeyed says I can have!  I dont have a huge ammount of room (hardly any) about 2 x 4 metres.  

I am already growing some spuds in old car tyres (any comments?, I have read about this but I am not so sure!).  I have ordered the variety pack of veg seedlings from http://www.dobies.co.uk/cffiles/varieties.cfm?var_ref=3812&rand=0.78148511&cat_ca_ref=527
because I am far too impatient to wait untill spring!  I have dug the turf off the patch but can I dig it in at this time of year?  Its in a mound at one end of the patch at the moment, covered in carboard in an attempt to kill it.  

If I dig it in, will I get a lawn growing through my veg?  
What else can I plant at this time of year?  I have an arch made of trellis in the garden that I would like to cover with something I can eat, any suggestions?

Any beginners tips will be gratefuly received!  As I said, I am a complete novice but determined to produce at least a small amount!  

Cheers folks

Mike

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 21:20 »
Hi Mike, welcome to the mad house!  

(didn't mean it John honestly, please don't give me any more lines please!!!!) lol

Getting a bit late to grow much now, salad stuff is still going in, and some early bits ready for next year like spring cabbage

Here are a few suggestions from some of the others on here:

Rugbymad said:   Most of the salad veg are still sowable. Radish, Lettuce, chicory, Salad Onions etc... There is still time for winter cabbage and perhaps some kale. Carrots should be okay until early August. You should look out for japanese onion sets as they can be planted next month to harvest in May/June next year. And finally, under cover why not try some spuds for Christmas

Beanzie said: As a starter, Lettuce, Radish, Spring(Salad)Onions, Turnips, Beetroot, Swiss Chard, Japanish Radish, Rocket, Early types of peas, you can get away with even more if you can cover the crops in October with cloches or fleece type materials to retain some heat.

Sow now or even later for next year, Spring Cabbage, Japanese Onions (wait until September,

Also, I know you said your plot isn't very big, but here is a link to a site on square foot gardening, which I found fascinating!  Just shows you what you CAN do with a small area!!!

As to the turf, pile it upside down on top of each other, cover it up and forget about it until next spring!!!  Don't dig it in now!

spy

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 21:26 »
Many thanks for the quick reply!  I am glad I didnt dig the turf in then, will pile it in a corner for now.  

I am struggling to find the link to the square foot thing, it might just be me, any tips on that 2? :D

Thanks again!

Mike

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 21:27 »
no sorry, just me a bit tired tonight!!! Sorry!

http://www.organicgardening.org.uk/organicgardening/gh_sqft.php

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 21:45 »
Welcome to the site - and the joys of growing you own fruit and veg.

Firstly the turfs you have lifted should be stacked upside down (Turf side to the ground) over winter.  By early Spring they should be in a suitable state to turn into the plot - checking ofcoarse for perennial weeds like dandelion.

I would not dig the plot now, but wait until it starts to get a bit wetter in September - it will make it a lot less work beleive me.  You could and should check the soil chemistry now.  Dependent on the results action can be taken to ensure that come spring you have a soil that will take what you want to plant and florish. Actions could be anything from liming to adding organic composite to improve the ferility.

If you are to impatient for this you could try digging a small area and digging in some proprietary compost.  This month is ideal for planting onions for harvesting in June/July next year.  You could also try some salad stuff for a late cropping this year (radish, Spring Onion and lettuce).  On the letuce front I would suggest a leafy variety as they mature quicker.

The very best advice of all I could give is to keep coming back to this site as it is a wealth of information and ideas.  Don't be afraid to ask - everyone on this site has at some time been in your shoes. For some it is a relatively new experience - other are more seasoned.  But whatever, the advice provided is friendly, topical and born from experiences.  In other words the very best.
Good Luck and happy growing.
Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

spy

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 22:09 »
Thanks again for the replies!  Today I dug over half the plot (not that hard when your plots as small as mine!) and dug in 100l of compost!  Put the fence up temporary, will finish that another day.  Planted some lettuce and spring onion and all after finishing work at 6pm.  I had to come in at half 9 as it was getting too dark :D.  

I realised when I was planting the seeds that I really dont have a clue what I am doing.  One said something "like sow liberally but not too thick", what the hell is that supposed to mean to a newby like me? :D  Chucked loads in, figured i can thin them later if need be?

Looking forward to my plants arriving from dobies, at least there is a good chance they will grow! :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 09:16 »
Hi Spy (with my little eye - sorry)

I like Dobies seeds - which is main reason they're on the allotment shop area.  

Liberally but not too thick means the writer hadn't much of a clue. One way of sowing I've picked up from the National Vegetable Society is to put a pinch in at the final spacing.
If you were sowing swedes that you want at nine inch spacing, for example, you put in a pinch every nine inches and thin down as soon as possible. Since that last seedling is going to get eaten by a slug - leave a few spares until things look established. (That's my bit)

I'd strongly suggest a mooch around the books on here - the expert series is, unlike its title, great for novices. A lot of beginners do well in growing because they just follow the instructions. Us older hands get sloppy, try new sophisticated tricks and then get disasters :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

milkman

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 09:34 »
Although I wouldn't describe myself as an "older hand" I do agree with the bit about becoming sloppy and getting disasters - having over the last few years perfected my techniques for growing fantastic brussels sprouts and parsnips, later this year I won't be harvesting any
- parsnips I simply sowed them far too late, so germination was next to nil :cry:
- brussels sprouts didn't get labelled, so what I thought I was planting under my viromesh tent for speedy pest-free onward growth turned out to be everything but brussels sprouts  :oops:
My onions are also nothing to write home about (again I planted the sets too late).
Fortunately, to counter all this doom and gloom I've got/had melons and aubergines and carrots and tomatoes and potatoes and beans and leeks and garlic and shallots and courgettes and pumpkins and squashes and popcorn and swiss chard and spinach beet and cucumbers and broccoli and peas and swedes and artichokes and this week's extra special - sweetcorn... which I will try to remember when looking at the gaps on my plate for Christmas dinner!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

James

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 17:56 »
If you are lucky to have things growing like chickweed, dandelion and plantain, then you can have your first crop - pluck the young fresh leaves, dress with olive oil and there's your salad.

I always have a dandelion in my salad - can always find one growing somewhere.

Then if there are nettles, strim/cut them, and then let them grow again and collect the fresh new leaves and steam them like spinach (they'll take 20-30+ minutes though).

Oliver

Beginners luck!!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 18:18 »
Quote from: "john"
A lot of beginners do well in growing because they just follow the instructions. Us older hands get sloppy, try new sophisticated tricks and then get disasters :)

this is absolutely true - she is a very old hand at some things but has learned her lesson and does some things quite well now.
The newer things went extremely well 5 years ago, but now - DISASTER. So next year she is going to go back to bing a beginner and hope things will be better. So you see, you learn even after many many years. :)
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

noshed

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 22:34 »
I'm new and sloppy already - a record!
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
Complete Novice!

Started by Briony1979 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 22:32
by justviolet
xx
Help for a complete novice

Started by Mitchy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 21:17
by digalotty
xx
Need help complete novice

Started by ANGEL_S on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 15:39
by Minty
xx
Stupid question alert it would be me

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 21:52
by maxibo

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 35 queries.