Courgette Omlette and other courgette recipies

• 56 Replies

compostqueen

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2008, 22:31 »
I've seen that one and it looks very nice. I think it was on the Beeb site  :D   Just so happens my beetroots are about ready  :D

jannie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2008, 08:12 »
250g butter,
325g dark muscovado sugar,
4 med eggs beaten,                                                                        250g plain flour,
2 tsp baking powder,
2 heaped tbsp cocoa powder,
450g finely grated raw beetroot,
115g grated dark chocolate  [70 % ]
1/2 tbsp vanilla essence.
icing sugar to decorate.

oven 180c/160c fan/350f/4 gas

butter a 23cm deep sided cake tin,
cream together butter and sugar add eggs little by little,mixing well,sift flour ,baking powder, and cocoa mix .add grated beetroot and chocolate stir well to combine add the vanilla essence.
transfer to cake tin bake for about 50-65 mins depending on oven
 The colour of this cake comes out a rich chocolate-mauve its lovely jan :lol:

grgh

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2008, 12:54 »
Quote from: "milkman"
Have been using a Hugh Fearnley-W recipe for my courgettes - slice them then fry very gently in frying pan with garlic and olive oil and a dash of salt till very soft (don't let them go brown), mash them with potato masher, keep on a low heat until nearly all the moisture has disappeared, stir in a good size dollop of double cream and some grated cheese (cheddar or parmesan works well) then mix with freshly cooked pasta.

Many thanks, I tried this for breakfast using 3 courgettes, as we had some double cream needed using. Rather than the pasta I had it on toast and added some pepper. Very nice.

I gave away 7 courgettes and 2 marrows at work last week, I've been frying and boiling and baking them for weeks so always on the lookout for something new to try.
I'm all dirty.

grgh

Re: Yum Yum
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2008, 12:56 »
Quote from: "Oliver"
Quote from: "oliveview"
Courgettes grated (About 2 large ones) I cup plain flour, 1/2 cup oil, 2-3 eggs depending on size egg 1 cup grated cheese.... mix together and  pour quite sloppy mixture nto a dish.... bake int eh oven until set. delicious hot or cold! PAmela  (in Spain who does not have an oven to cook this :( )

Made this last night, only difference was had a bit of roast chicken left over from the Caesar Salad they took on the picnic the night before. So put layer of the 'sloppy mixture', then a layer of chicken and pepper, then finish off with the mixture. Baked in oven for about 40 mins until set and nicely golden brown. They ate it warm with tomato and french bean salad. (I had some of the chicken - yum, my favourite).
Thanks Oliveview, a very nice dish and very useful for picnics, methinks, as it will cut in to very nice slices.

Sounds nice and easy, I plan to try this one later for my lunchbox this week  8) Can I ask what temp you put the oven at?

grgh

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2008, 19:29 »
Not bad, I love the slop, so easy to mix! I stuck it in for 45mins at 180, it browned up nicely. Although I poured out the juice after grating the courgette, it is still quite moist, think I'll remove more next time.

Oh yeah, and I put chicken and pepper into the middle as suggested earlier, worked a treat  :)  We think we'll add a few more bits next time.

ck2day

• Experienced Member
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2008, 13:55 »
Jannie,

I made your chocolate and beetroot cake at the weekend, it is gorgeous!!  Rich, dark and yummy, I will definately be making it again.  It goes down very well with a dollop of cream  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Claire

jannie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2008, 15:49 »
and the kids don't know that there eating beetroot  :lol: not that had a problem with my son but my niece and nephew are a nightmare although i have owned up to them this weekend  :)  :)

ck2day

• Experienced Member
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2008, 16:49 »
Unfortunately my 2 spotted me putting the beetroot into the cake mixture and now won't touch it!  Not that we care as it means all the more for us, the girls can stick with plain choccy cake, not as nice as chocloate and beetroot  :lol:  :lol:

Claire

compostqueen

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2008, 21:48 »
Courgette choc chip muffins

INGREDIENTS
190 g plain flour
150 g sugar
5 g baking powder
2 g ground cinnamon
3 g salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
120 ml vegetable oil
60 ml milk
15 ml lemon juice
5 ml vanilla extract
125 g grated courgette (I used a yellow one)
50 g chocolate chips
30 g chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS
In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Combine the egg, oil, milk, lemon juice and vanilla; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in courgette, chocolate chips and walnuts. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes

chrissie B

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2008, 11:39 »
a real simple thing to do with courgettes is to slice them very thin and dust them in seasoned flour then deep fry , drain on paper serve hot with a big dollop of tzatziki  some crusty bread .
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

mashauk

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2008, 00:42 »
I'm going to try a carrot & courgette cake next week.  Made a chocolate & beetroot one which seemed to go down well although I wasn't that keen, so worth a try.

mashauk

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2008, 00:44 »
OH put them in a griddle pan in chunks the other day, sprinkled with basil oil, lemon juice, chilli flakes and mint, they were yum.

xx
courgette jam

Started by gert on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 13:05
by Maryann
xx
Val's Courgette Pie

Started by ytyynycefn on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 03, 2006, 23:19
by John
xx
Courgette glut!

Started by countrymouse on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

40 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 21:48
by mumofstig
xx
Courgette Bread

Started by GrannieAnnie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post October 10, 2006, 20:38
by KIM200

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 35 queries.