Carrot Question

• 22 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Carrot Question
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 13:58 »
Quote from: "basketcase"

Have a daughter going to University in September and don't want her to starve...

So you're growing pot noodles and beer? :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Oliver

Carrot Question
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 00:17 »
Quote from: "startiger"
carrot fly

Had an allotment meeting this evening and we swapped ideas - one chap said rhubard leaves make good carrot fly scarers. :?
Apparently he rolls the leaves into tube shapes, puts a stick down the middle of each one and them lays them alongside the row of carrots. He anchors the roll with another little stick. Keeps the fly off he says. Well, will try anything once.

Usually I keep my carrots covered with fleece.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Carrot Question
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 10:33 »
Mmmmm, might try to rhubarb leaves instead of fleece, seems such a shame to have stuff covered up when you want the sun to get to them.

basketcase

• Experienced Member
Carrot Question
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 13:34 »
So you're growing pot noodles and beer?

Please, John, I hope I've brought her up better than that...

A good white wine!  (And she prefers Super Noodles!)  :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Carrot Question
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 09:33 »
We ensured our daughter had 'life skills' before uni. She could cook, use a washing machine and so forth.

Hahaha - washing was brought home, she lived on take-outs, currys and pot noodles. Still she got the degree and survived :)

The veggies we took were happily composted in a cupboard.

basketcase

• Experienced Member
Carrot Question
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 13:30 »
My daughter's stunned me by becoming very organised.

She has a budget, a meal plan and everything!  She's also asked me to show her how to do the washing etc and if I know any suitable recipes (she's vegetarian).  

I'm somewhat disappointed with the likely crop yield of most things at the lottie as we'd both hoped that I'd be able to feed her.  Still, it looks like there'll be enough spuds and possibly even onions and carrots - if nothing else eats them first!  :lol:

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
Carrot Question
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 14:57 »
Quote from: "john"
We ensured our daughter had 'life skills' before uni. She could cook, use a washing machine and so forth.

I love the first week of the new term - the supermarkets in Sheffield are crammed full of parents purchasing mountains of washing powder and dried pasta to leave with their son / daughter... you get used to over-hearing conversations that go something like '...now the powder goes in the drawer at the top and you turn the dial to 40C...' or 'boil some water and then pop a few handfuls in for about 15mins...' :D

It does make me feel old though :( I'd been at university in some form or the other for about seven years!

hermon

Carrot Question
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2006, 07:52 »
hi basketcase
aduki beans are good you can get them frozen in bags, a good protein these can be used in soups, stews or a bolognase thing(bad spelling...sorry!)quino (again spelling) its like a rice thing buy it in a box you can make porriage with it or as a rice substitue. couscous also is nice.
can she make pastry? if so she can do a tofu and spinach plan, fry the spinach with onions then put that in with a pack of tofu in a food processor wizz up add it to the pastry in a flan dish cook in the over nice with some suatade potatoes.
carrot and corriander soup you can freeze this also. boil up potatoes then freeze them ready for a roast dinner, a thing called "chicken bake" i think you can only get this in health food shops its a dry mix its very much like stuffing abit fatty but you can have cold left overs in a sandwich with branston mmmmmmm lovely oh yes i am also a veggie!!

xx
A carrot question

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2015, 21:34
by Ivor Backache
xx
Carrot question

Started by Biddy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 18:54
by DD.
xx
Carrot question.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 00:11
by sarajane
xx
A carrot question

Started by prikay on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 18:57
by prikay

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 34 queries.