Trading hut seed stock

• 3 Replies

Christine

Trading hut seed stock
« on: October 09, 2018, 08:34 »
So - what do you expect to see in your trading hut for seed stock? We've had a poor season for some reason and are a new committee with not a lot of experience except for a couple of us who have been round the block a time or two.

So - give us a clue as to what you sell that sells well. No we don't do onion sets, garlic sets, seed potatoes. That was tried in the dim and distant past and to all accounts it was a spectacular failure.

mikem

• Experienced Member
Re: Trading hut seed stock
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 09:24 »
I would ask your plot holders what they want.  Also just because something didn't work before it doesn't mean that it won't work now.  As an alternative to stocking the seeds you could link up with one of the major suppliers and they will complete the order for you and the allotment will either get a percentage back or the plot holder will get a good discount.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 13:14 »
I would ask your plot holders what they want.  Also just because something didn't work before it doesn't mean that it won't work now.  As an alternative to stocking the seeds you could link up with one of the major suppliers and they will complete the order for you and the allotment will either get a percentage back or the plot holder will get a good discount.

Kings seeds do just that for us. Ours sells composts,fertilisers, a small range of pots, chemicals, canes, netting,fleece. Seed potatoes & onion sets are to order so they don’t get stuck with any.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Christine

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 16:49 »
I would ask your plot holders what they want.
We have done the last few years and there has been a resounding silence. Helpful lot they are.  ::)

We do order through Kings Seeds and the discount is good, we do have some back years records. But this year we have a lot of left overs as has happened the last two or three years it seems.

And yet the sales through the trading hut are slightly up on last year. Just not on seeds. There's just no predicting it seems. Despite much advertising of the trading hut.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 16:53 by Christine »

xx
Stocking the trading shed

Started by tangledfoot on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 20:13
by noshed
thumbup
bq .new stock

Started by wrinkly1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 06, 2014, 17:23
by Mr Dog
xx
Potatoes still in stock

Started by Ourveggiepatch on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 14:18
by missycat
question
Root stock

Started by Bobble_off on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 16, 2018, 13:42
by Bobble_off

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 35 queries.